Entourage vs Mail

RonaldMacDonald

Registered
What is the prefered mail program around here? I used to use Outlook on OS9. Now I use Mail on OSX as it came with the machine. Would I be better off with Entourage? Does it has more functions than Mail? There are a few things I miss about Outlook, like all the different sounds.

Does Entourage have the more functions as Outlook?

Cool board you have here :p

Ron

Entourage is very similar to Outlook - I think it's safe to say it has all of Outlook's features and a few more as well.

Personally I use the Apple Mail.app, but I know a lot of people prefer Entourage.

Does Entourage work faster than Mail? When I switched from Outlook on 9 to Mail on X, I noticed it opens a folder faster than Outlook. I have tons of mail and Outlook started to open slower and slower when I switched folders.

Pengu, why do you like GyazMail better than the others?

Does anyone know if you can import mail and stuff from Mail to Entoirage?

Ron

Mail seemed to "amatuerish" for me, but i disliked the bloat, and of course the developers of Entourage. Gyazmail is the perfect solution. It's written in coccoa (always a plus), it looks beautiful, it has extensive features and preferences, but loads noticably quicker than entourage.

Mail.app is my preferred. I haven't tried any of Micro$oft mail products on my mac, but at apple.com .. some use entourage. I've tried Gnumail, and gyazmail, and mutt, and they were nice, but mail.app does most of the things I need, and it's simple. I wish the spam filter had a spam-assassin style point system: I want to decide for each factor how 'spam' it is.

E.g. no sender name: 0.5 points. Contain these: penis: 2 points. click here : 2 points. to remove / remove from mailing: 2 points. contains .pps, .pif, .scr : 3 points (and bounce). a variety of spam terms (horse ****, teen ****, ****, FREE etc) : 0.25 - 2 points. coming from hotmail: 1,5 points. coming from lycos or tripod : 3 points.
over 5 points total: consider spam, let me confirm first; and be able to click and modify EACH spam points factor and point manually anytime. THAT'd be The Spam Filter I want. :p

I use Entourage except on my work machine, where I'm forced to use Mail.app.

I am not a big M$ supported or anything, it's just that Entourage is much better then Mail.app in my opinion.

They do tend to share the same features, and I have not doubt that Mail.app will eventually catch up to Entourage one day. But for now, Mail.app just doesn't work as it's supposed to.

An example of what I'm talking about.

Just today I was asked to send a file to a client via email. Without thinking about it I attached the source file, instead of the compressed (and much smaller) final file. I clicked send.

Well you can imagine my surprise when I came back from a bathroom break to find that Mail.app was still trying to send the file. Using the "Activity Viewer" (which is a complete rip off of Entourage's "Activity Viewer") I realized my mistake.

Well, thankfully Mail.app has a nice little icon that says "Stop", presumably to stop the corresponding action from completing. Well, guess what, it doesn't work. The button is dimmed. Apparently there is no way in Mail to cancel a sending email.

I had to force quit and relaunch the application, to find Mail.app attempting to send it again. I had to force quit a few more times before I could finally move the email to "drafts" and delete it from there.

I don't like having to trick programs like that. I see that as a flaw in the programming. When you display a cancel button, guess what, it should cancel.

Back