error - broken pipe

blkbrd

Registered
sounds serious! but i don't know what this means!
i get this error whenever i try to update/install anything!
it tries to mount the dmg and then fails with that error message.

i'm running 10.4 on a used powerbook that i just bought. everything is a blank slate at the moment. except of course the bookmark for this site !
if anyone knows what's going on with my powerbook and can shed some light on the subject, i'd surely appreciate it!

You might try downloading a new copy of Stuffit Expander. I seem to remember running into this problem with an old version. I'm not exactly sure why the image mounter would be talking to Stuffit when the image file has already been decompressed, but give that a try.

Stuffit wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Other than VPC causing this problem, the only cure I've seen for this problem is to reinstall the system.

Stuffit wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I don't think you can necessarily draw that absolute a conclusion, especially in situations where the downloaded image file is stuffed/tarred/gzipped; in such situations when I've encountered a mount failure with a "broken pipe" error, downloading the newest version of Stuffit Expander fixed the problem. Upon thinking about it for a few minutes, it's not that odd a solution if 1) Stuffit Expander is incorrectly decompressing the file and making an image that can't be mounted, or 2) Expander, after decompressing a .sit file, sends the command to disk copy to mount the image and sends a malformed command. I in particular had loads of problems with Stuffit Expander 9.x.

I'm not saying this *is* the solution, but it's not to be ruled out totally either if the images in question here are encoded or stuffed in some fashion.

Stuffit isn't used for .dmg files.

I may not be making myself totally clear here, so let me try again. If someone puts up a link to a .dmg file on a website where the .dmg file is stuffed, gzipped, or encoded (that's the only situation I'm talking about), clicking on the link will cause the browser to download the file and then auto-launch Stuffit to expand/decode the file. Furthermore, if the "mount disk images" checkbox is checked in Stuffit Expander's preferences, Stuffit will then attempt to mount the .dmg file after expanding it. This creates two points of failure tied to Stuffit: a) an incorrect decompression or decoding of the image file, or b) a flawed attempt to mount the disk image.

Again, I'm not talking about downloading a .dmg file that's not zipped, stuffed, or encoded; I'm only talking about downloads of .dmg files where the .dmg file has been put into a state where Stuffit comes into play. Does that make sense, Bob?

Since you just bought the machine, reformat the drive and reinstall the system.

thanks bob! i'll give that a shot. only problem is that i've got to wait until the guy i bought the powerbook from gives me the disks..rrrr. unless there's anything i can do without needing those??

**and yeah, stuffit expander doesn't really factor into my problem. but thanks for the suggestion!

Back