Exposé on a multi-button mouse

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
i'm starting this thread to because it's more relevant here than on the end of a powerbook thread.

is there a way to run a diagnostic to see if macOS is recognising my middle button? the right button is fine, and it scrolls fine in all apps, but it won't let me use my middle button as exposé 'show all windows' anymore. i can it up for right mouse button, and works instantly, but middle button does nothing.

is there something in the terminal that could tell me if it is just macOS not recognising my middle button, or a driver clash (i had both intellipoint and usb overdrive on here)

you say "anymore"... did it ever let you and it just stopped? if it never worked and you're looking to use the middle button (or for any mouse that has more then 2 buttons) a great shareware program is USB Overdrive. (http://www.usboverdrive.com/)

you also have better mouse control as far as speed and tracking options (if optical mouse) then the apple driver.

Slightly OT:

I just got the new Logitech MX1000 wireless laser mouse. A very nice mouse.

I used Logitech's driver to make sure the center button is just plain old "button 3", then set the Expose panel to trigger on mouse button 3 -- works great.

yeah it did work - it was just through the expose panel.

i had usb overdrive when it was working, but it stopped working for some reason - i reinstalled usb overdrive. now i can't see why it is useful - it doesn't have any expose options in the pane for each mouse button

why is macos itself ignoring my middle mouse button?

OK... so you could have a couple of things going on here. For starters, did the USB Overdrive and the middle mouse button stop working about the same time? If so they may be related. If I had to guess w/out looking at your log files to see if there's anything going on, I would say that USB Overdrive is intercepting the middle mouse button and not passing it off to the MacOS. If this is the case, then you have a few options.
a- remove USB Overdrive completely and see if the middle button will pass to the Mac OS.
b- reinstall USB Overdrive (delete prefs etc) and see if you can set it to pass the middle button to Mac OS.

My setup is this. I have my Exposé set to to command + shift + F9, command + shift + F10 etc. I then have the buttons on my mouse press that key combo so I don't have to worry about multiple mouse hand offs.

did it stop working after you did a Mac OS update? what was the last thing that you did before it died?

i deleted usb overdrive thinking i didn't need it - it being shareware i couldn't be bothered registering. then middle mouse expose stopped.

i have now thouroughly uninstalled intellipoint and usb overdrive. there is no third part drivers on here. middle mouse now switches to the next program, (like doing a cmd-tab, and in fact the cmd-tab box comes up when i hold the middle mouse down) which was the default middle mouse command when i fisrt started using it.

expose is still set to third mouse button, but still doesn't work, although it still works on right mouse btn

for some reason... it's fixed itself.... expose now working again - no drivers are currently installed at all

Back