External Harddisk unrecognized

romana

Registered
Hi!
I have a problem with my just bought external hard disk.
I formated it under windows to FAT32, and windows recognizes it and mounts it. (its a 2,5 zoll harddisk, 160 GB, powersupply via usb from the computer)
Under my Powerbook (g4, aluminium, 10.4.8) it isn't recognized and console gives me:
-------------------------------------------
USBF: 148.215 AppleUSBEHCI[0x273a800]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 91, timing out!
USBF: 148.218 AppleUSBEHCI[0x273a800]::DoIOTransfer - error 0xe000404f queueing request
USBF: 159.216 AppleUSBEHCI[0x273a800]::Found a transaction past the completion deadline on bus 91, timing out!

System Profiler tells me:
USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x00e0
PCI Revision ID: 0x0004
PCI Vendor ID: 0x1033
Bus Number: 0x5b

USB TO IDE:

Version: 0.33
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Product ID: 0x0702
Vendor ID: 0x05e3

I really dont know what to do since i had never problems with USB ...

thank you in advance,
romana

Thank you, but i think it was a problem with my usb2.0 - port.
Yesterday i bought another box with a fire-wire port, put the hard disk in, and now its mounted without any problems....

strange...?

I've just had the exact same problem. Now its solved.

My external harddrive which works on all other macs, windows, linux machines I've ever tried, suddenly decided not to work on this PowerBook G4.

System Profiler found it ok

but dmesg gave me
USBF: 2589. 70 AppleUSBEHCI[0x14ec800]::Found a transaction which hasn't moved in 5 seconds on bus 91, timing out!

i used a special usb cable (comes with some external hd's) with two connectors to get power from a second usb port. and voila, problem solved.

so the problem turned out to be power related, must be enough power for the usb to recognise the device, but not enough to actually use it. need to use the power from two usb ports.

cheers

Back