External HD doesnt mount after plugging in Vista laptop

Timotheos

Registered
Hey there, I have an external 60GB HD that I got out of my old laptop that im using in an external HD case that doesn't seem to want to mount anymore. I dont think I have dropped it and if I can recall (Haven't used it for about a month) the last time I used it was when I plugged it into my flastmates laptop with Vista just to see if vista could read mac formated HDs. Turns out it doesnt. I have just tried to use it again and now it doesnt work and the vista thing is the only action I can think that would have done anything to it.

Anyone have any idea of wether I can save my HD?

Doesnt show up in DiskUtility. Should it show up in the USB section of profiler? If it should - then it doesnt. When I first plugged it into a macPro at Uni it beeped a few times...

I think a similar thing happened once before when I plugged it into an XP computer and when I took the HD into uni it showed up in Disk Utility so I reformated or something

Ok, so this is what I have done. I brought my pBook into uni and hooked it up in target disk mode and plugged in my external to the iMac at uni also. I made all the hidden files visable on the system at I found some sort of evidence on my external HD.

It shows the volume 'Tims External HD'. which is my External HD. but I can see it on the HD of my pBook when the External HD is infact hooked upto the iMac.

Whats the deal with this? Im so confused

Attachments

• external existance.jpg
    external existance.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 5
The saga continues. I finally got the HD to show up. I tried to verify the disk in disk utility and it said I needed to repair it so I did it and disk utility said:

"Repairing disk for “Tims External HD”
Mounting Disk(S,"Checking HFS Plus volume.",0)
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
Repairing volume.
The volume Tims External HD was repaired successfully.

Repair attempted on 2 volumes
1 HFS volume repaired
1 volume could not be repaired"

Is this good or bad? I thought I only had one volume ('Tims External HD') on the disk. If I reformat, will it be fine?

Yeah I realise that, But since it says there is a problem with the volume, I thought if I back everything up and reformat then the disk may be 100% back to normal

Back