externally boot osx

zoranb

Registered
I have an emac running mac os9. Is it possible to boot to OSX that can be installed on an external enclosure hd? If so, how can i install OSX on the enclosure? Can the whole thing (installation of OSX to the enclosure) be done from my emac?

Yes, yes, and yes.

You can boot from an external enclosure as long as it's FireWire. USB booting is not supported under OS X.

Simply boot from the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD, then select the external enclosure as the destination drive.

How do i boot from the MacOSX install cd/dvd when i have OS9 on the emac?

And also if im running OSX from the enclosure is it possible to install apps in MacOSX? Cause all this actually is done because
1. i dont want to delete OS9 from the emac and
2. i want to run DataRescue on another external hd on enclosure i have that has usb port (i cant remeber if the emac has a usb2 port actually, has it?

Just pop the Mac OS X install cd/dvd in. It'll mount on OS 9 and show you an installer's icon. Double-click it and it'll ask you to restart. Then the installation process starts. There you choose your external FW harddrive as the destination.

Of course you _don't_ erase OS 9 while doing that (no problem at all here). If you ever don't remember whether your Mac has USB2 or something, go to apple.com to find out about it. Or apple-history.com. It all depends on the age (i.e. version) of your eMac, I guess.

cani use a USB2 enclosure to install Panther? i only have USB2 enclosure the firewire one went bad!!!

Actually, I thought I had read somewhere that booting from USB was part of 10.4.3 or 10.4.4 - so it would mean that all our Tiger Macs updated to the most recent version should be able to do it. But I might remember it wrong...

Yeah, I think it was somewhere in the build notes for a developer release. But as I said: I don't really remember. Guess I could just be wrong about it. Also: If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Regardless what I've once read somewhere. ;)

Back