Eye strain

Rhisiart

Registered
My Mac specs are shown below. I have a Mitsubishi 22" CRT monitor. For years my desktop resolution has been set at 1600 x 1200. At work the resolution on our PCs are pre-set by IT&Info to quantum specifications (i.e. a Hubble telescope is required to read print).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I have been experiencing problems focusing on text for some months now, which may be down to eye strain, albeit my glycaemic index is borderline.

Having moaned to Herself about it, she suggested I change the resolution to 1280 x 1024 and move the monitor back 6 inches. It seemed like a retrograde step, but Spaces has made it all worthwhile.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Have you thought about replacing the CRT with an LCD? I find CRTs more straining even at the same resolution. I know I used to get more headaches when I used CRTs. I do miss the consistency and contrast of CRTs, but I do not miss the eye strain.

My eyes are perfectly good, but I still set my browser's minimum font size to 14-15. It makes many sites render improperly, but I don't care; text is made for reading. I use fairly large text for most things, except for programming and Terminal.

Have you thought about replacing the CRT with an LCD? I find CRTs more straining even at the same resolution. I know I used to get more headaches when I used CRTs. I do miss the consistency and contrast of CRTs, but I do not miss the eye strain.
You may have a point here. So far, scaling the resolution down has made an immense difference. I suppose I worry about ever decreasing circles, i.e. in a few years I'll be competing with CaptainQuark for the last available 256x128 monitor.

Back