EYETV. EYE'm wondering if its worth it

Dime5150

Registered
Hey. I was thinking about getting EyeTV it looks really cool. Couple of questions though for anyone that has it:

Can you tell me how you have it set up? Do you run AV cables from the tv into it or do you just put the coaxial cable from wall directly into the box?

Can you watch stuff you record on the EyeTV back onto your TV? or does it stay on the computer unless you burn a VCD. And how compatible are these VCD's with DVD players? I have a ps2 and a cheap DVD player by Apex.

What else can you do with EyeTV? Just looking for some opionons and input. OH and how the hell can the company get away with making such a product? Well maybe i should ask apple.. cough iPod cough :p

I run coaxial cable to my EyeTV and it works great. The picture quality is great. The only way to watch the shows on your TV that I know of is to record them to a CDR. When I record shows to my CDR as video disks it works fine in my DVD player (Sony DVD changer). It also very easily converts video to Quick Time format.

I have been very impressed with my Eye TV. The only difficulty I have had thus far is that my G4 Power Mac won't wake up from sleep mode when the Eye TV has a scheduled show to record. I am told by their technical support that this should not be occuring though. I am still researching this...

I highly reccomend it!

I am thinking of getting it as well. Here is a question. If I can save it as a Quicktime, can't I with Quicktime Pro export it into DV format. Then import it into iMoive, then burn it to DVD?

I don't see why that will not work. Anyone?

Matthew

Yes I'm sure you can get it on DVD by the procedure you describe. And iMovie 3 will do the DV-stream conversion for you - no Pro Key required. Cool!

The EyeTV is great. I've had mine for just over a week and I love it; I am already beginning to loathe watching regular TV. The scheduling works great and is much more intuitive than any VCR.

PS 2s won't play VCDs. APEX players are generally very compatible with VCDs (I have the AD 1200 and it plays almost anything). Check http://www.dvdrhelp.com for a compatibility list.

OH and how the hell can the company get away with making such a product? Well maybe i should ask apple.. cough iPod cough

What's wrong with a PVR? You ever heard of TiVo or ReplayTV? The EyeTV is a similar product for your Mac. Is there something wrong with watching TV on your own schedule rather than conforming to the network's? And what's your beef with the iPod? Do you just dislike revolutionary products that make life simpler and cooler? Maybe you should get a PC....

Inline Guy, I hear that in the new iMovie you can import MPEGs by dragging them from the finder. You'll lose the sound so you'll need to export it separately; better than having to export the video.

Back