Faster surfing for dial-up users

dennis

Registered
I live in an area where it is unlikely that Broadband will be made available. Does anyone know of any software available that can make surfing any quicker?

I have seen various products available for PC users but cant find anything for Macs. I know BT Home Highway offers an ISDN service up to 128kbs. but this could prove expensive and only works with Classic according to their web site!!

You might want to consider SpeedDownload (http://www.yazsoft.com/) to increase your internet access. I've tried this program and it works quite well. Also, for a quick and dirty fix, consider using Mozilla as your primary web browser. Mozilla allows you to selectively eliminate graphics from specified websites. I have mine configured such that graphics and animated GIFs from certain websites NEVER load. Most of the slow-down or bottleneck in cruising the web is downloading all those fancy graphics, and half of those images are likely advertisements. The text of a webpage loads almost instantly, but the animated GIFs and advertisements NEVER make it to my hard drive and screen - I'm in BLISS!!!

Setting Mozilla not to load graphics speeds up the internet surfing pretty good. Most advertisements (animated GIFs) come from another server other than the one your connected to. To eliminate the advertisements, just right-click or control-click on the image and Select "Block Images from the Server" in the drop down menu. The next time you connect to that website, the advertisements never load.

Chemistry_Geek

Thanks for your reply, in fact have tried Speed Download which as you say works quite well, but that is just for downloads and not for speeding up normal use!

I will give Mozilla a try but does this do anything that Opera does'nt as I already use that with mixed results (certainly quicker if I cut out the graphics but not really that much better than IE!)

regards dennis

Back