File permission

jeno

Registered
Just a quick question:

Does Mac OS X Disk Utilities correct permission on all the files and folders on the machine? or is it only on systems folders?

If I need to correct permission on every file and folder on the machine, how do I do so?

Thanks,
Jeno

I think it does; however, the Disk Utility is a "static" program in that it exists, in time, when it was loaded to your disk you use. I am unaware whether or not the Disk Utility in your own Applications "Utilities" is updated.

Does that matter? Hell if I know, but I have been told and read that it may mess a bit with other applications. It makes sense to me--you have a DU from a 10.5 disk is it going to screw up 10.5.5 programs?

However, why mess with that? Goeth thou to either Onyx--a free program--or Cocktail--as shareware and use those. Both will not only repair permissions, they will do a lot of others things to keep your Mac happy.

Now, if you have 10.5+ repairing permissions in any of those programs--DU, O, C--will take a LONG time . . . Looooooong time. If you "click" on the program in your Dock you may see the "Application Not Responding" and think it has crashed. Rest assur'd it has not.

--J.D.

... in the receipt folder. If an application uses Installer to install, it writes a receipt there which Disc Utility can read.

Last edited:
I don't think so. The permissions are read from the receipts stored on the system.

Yup... Disk Utility will only repair permissions on items that have package receipts located in the /Library/Receipts folder.

You should not muck with any of the receipts in that folder. Even if you remove an application... well, technically, you can clean out receipts from deleted applications out of that folder, but I highly recommend against it. Leaving them there does no harm, but accidentally removing a receipt that you shouldn't have will do much harm.

Last edited:
More here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452

"When you use Disk Utility to verify or repair disk permissions, it reviews each of the .bom files in /Library/Receipts/ and compares its list to the actual permissions on each file listed. If the permissions differ, Disk Utility reports the difference (and corrects them if you use the Repair feature).

Does Disk Utility check permissions on all files?

No. Files that aren't installed as part of an Apple-originated installer package are not listed in a receipt and therefore are not checked. For example, if you install an application using a non-Apple installer application, or by copying it from a disk image, network volume, or other disk instead of installing it via Installer, a receipt file isn't created. This is expected. Some applications are designed to be installed in one of those ways.

Also, certain files whose permissions can be changed during normal usage without affecting their function are intentionally not checked."

Hello All,

Thanks for replying.
Now I understand that Disk Utilities will only repair item such as application that has a footprint in the /Library/Receipts. It will not do anything more than that.

I am having some problem particularly with files and folder carrying different/wrong permission and access right. I have a lot of file going around in and out the server. Sometimes i am getting file that are locked or having other person identity. My IT told that the they have re-propagate the server but seem that it don't help much. I am wondering if I run Disk Utilities on my machine or the server will help.

p/s: I did perform some software installation and uninstallation but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Cheers,
Jeno

Permissions on a server are not determined by the files on your computer, you have to get your IT person to set a sweep on the server to set all permissions to Read/Write otherwise they default to those on your computer only, locked to everyone else.

PC or Mac server?

Its a Apple Xserve. I remember my IT is doing something on the server similar like resetting a default permission for all the user but sometimes when restoring files from a different hard disk to the server, it still get locked.

seems like we are having the same problem as you with our 10.4.11 server about some files being lock and some aren't. this just started last week after a mandatory update on our server and leaving alot of temporary files behind on the server.

After all this long. I still think that 10.4.11 is still buggy. Every time there is an update and give it a try, I always end up revert back to 10.4.10.

I didn't know you could revert back - how would u do that? Could you do that on the server only and not the other desktop machines (not been having a problem with them-so far)?

I didn't know you could revert back - how would u do that? Could you do that on the server only and not the other desktop machines (not been having a problem with them-so far)?
It's called "Archive & Install", then apply the 10.4.10 combo update.

There is no "rollback" or "revert" possible in Mac OS X.

Back