File type associaton to hidden app ?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
HexEdit has replaced DiskImageMounter as the default app for opening DMG files.

I can select "Open With > DIM" from the contextual menu but I'm sick of doing that.

My problem is that I can't select /System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app since it resides in the CoreServices ƒ which is hidden.

What's the plist that stores file type associations so I can fix it ?

have you tried going to get info, then in open with select DIM, and then change to all?

Yes, and as I said since DIM resides in /Library/CoreServices which isn't listed in /Library/ for me to even select since it's hidden.

That's because /Library/CoreServices doesn't exist. You want /System/Library/CoreServices I think. ;-)

And if for some reason that directory is set invisible as well, just use something like good old ResEdit to make it visible. Though I'm sure someone can suggest something a bit more efficient than ResEdit for simply changing file visibility in OS X. (Command line program, perhaps?)

wo-là yeah sorry it is /System/Library/CoreServices, but the problem persists.

I guess I could just delete HexEdit, I don't use it that much anyway...

Okay, assuming you have the developer tools installed, you should be able to use SetFile to make sure CoreServices isn't invisible.

Try this in the Terminal:
Code:
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a v /System/Library/CoreServices

How odd ! After issuing that (+ sudo) my DMG was automatically marked to be open by DIM, by default, AND HexEdit no longer even appears in the list of applications to open DMGs.

Thanks David.

Back