file wont delete?? help...

J1983M

Registered
hi.
can anyone pls help me. i downloaded the trial version of quarkxpress from the quark web site. i have now decided to delete the item, all the items in the folder have been deleted but one. each time i try to empty the trash with this in, it just freezes my computer up.
any help????

Open the terminal and type:

cd ~/.Trash
<hit return>

sudo rm -rf

put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return

give it your admin password and hit return

Take the folder out of the trash to your Desktop.

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder. It's in the Application folder.
Then use the commands above.

You can also use TrashIt - a free program to empty the trash.

I have a file that caried over from Panther that just refuses to delete. I can't drag it out the trash, I tried the above and that didn't work. Restart it is still there. It wouldn't delete in Panther either, but all the other contents of the folder did when i initially tried to delete it over a week ago.

Put the file in the trash. Then, then start Terminal and type exactly:

sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash/*

After typing the command, press return, enter your password, and press return again. You will be ask sequentially whether you want to delete the items in your trash. Type y for yes and n for no. In each case, press return after typing y or n. Once done, type exit to complete the process.

Back