Filesystem oddities

toerne

Registered
Hi there,

a month back I got myself a G4/933, nice machine. I'd come from a Linux/Unix environment and I noticed some oddities about OSX' file system that I do not feel to happy about.

1) After chaning the owner of a directory from the shell (using "chown ...", I never saw a change in the file ownership (using "ls -la") until I did a reboot. Seems some caches went invalid without the OS noticing.

2) When I move files from one directory to another (using "mv" from the shell), they regularly fail to occur in the finder, also after closing the window and re-opening the folder in question. Again, I guess it's some invalid cache running by unnoticed.

3) When moving many files (say, 10,000), the system takes AGES. This is so annoying. And yes, I do this from the shell again.

4) When mounting/unmounting NFS file systems from the shell (thanks to Apple, I don't know how to do this differently), the new directories are all up and working (from the shell), but the respective icons never occur on my desktop, or they are way late, and they _never_ disappear when I unmount the drives (again, from the shell).

My bet is that this whole file-system business is a big buggy. Never had any problems with file system errors, but I cannot say I trust OSX anymore with this type of errors. The file system is way too important to be buggy like that.

Anyone can confirm these problems?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I've noticed the Finder can be lazy in updating for changes made in the shell but they always are fixed if I close the open window and make a new one. This is probably some attempt by Apple to tweak for faster system speed as much as possible by giving less processor time/whatever resources to these things. The good thing in this is there may be some possible way to allocate more processor time/whatever to speed this up if this is the case, I am just not aware of any way unfortunately.

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion, will run f*ck -y -- however, I doubt that this will help since it happened with a fresh system.

BTW: Any journaling file systems out yet? Would be mighty cool.

Chris

4)

"/usr/sbin/disktool -r" Makes nfs mounts visible in the finder (invisible if unmounted)

Back