Finder hangs when accessing G5 superdrive

robchristianson

Registered
For the most part, this new G5 works great. But it's very frustrating when the Finder hangs when I just try to open up a CD or DVD. Also, I've had problems with the eject key not actually ejecting a disc for a long period of time (the system displays the eject icon in the middle of the screen right when I hit it though)...

I found a firmware patch for the eject issue, but it seems to have reverted. Any other suggestions? Does anyone else's Finder hang up (with the spinning beachball) when you just try to open a cd or access a file on a cd/dvd?

thanks. :(

Rob - Have you tried to Repair Permissions (Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility)? Plus, how old is this computer? If it is new, or you have AppleCare, give Apple a call because it should not do that.

powermac said:
Definitely a problem like that, get Apple on the phone.

Yes sounds like a hardware problem

I had my dual 2.5 G5 for months now with no issues like that

Where else would someone connect the keyboard? It is, with the exception of the keyboard extension cord. Is that what you mean? I'll try it...

There is a problem with G5 and G4, if you connect the keyboard at the front of the Mac OR if you connect the keyboard to the monitor. If you do so, you will nor be able to open the CD/DVD tray - SOME times........
Lars Damgaard

Well it seems to be working now, having just taken off the keyboard extension cord... but it could just be teasing me. I'll repost in a day or two if the problem is still there.

Our IT guy seems to think it's more an OS issue than a hardware issue - he's mostly PC but we're schoolin' him on REAL computers! ;)

Heh... if your PC-guy is only a PC guy, don't take any advice from him. If he gets upset, ask him if he'd take advice on his PC from a Mac-only person. ;)

He's right that it could be OS-related, but since we're talking about a piece of hardware interfacing with a piece of software, it could be either of the two.

Back