Finder is crashing in OSX 10.4.11

lajay

Registered
My G4 is experiencing the weirdest thing! It keeps crashing the finder. This is what the console says:
Feb 4 12:35:34 Jasons-CPU crashdump[363]: Finder crashed
Feb 4 12:35:35 Jasons-CPU crashdump[363]: crash report written to: /Users/sonypictures/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Feb 4 12:37:04 Jasons-CPU crashdump[365]: Finder crashed
Feb 4 12:37:05 Jasons-CPU crashdump[365]: crash report written to: /Users/sonypictures/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log
Feb 4 12:38:34 Jasons-CPU crashdump[369]: Finder crashed
Feb 4 12:38:35 Jasons-CPU crashdump[369]: crash report written to: /Users/sonypictures/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log

FYI:
I'm on a dual 800MHz G4 w/1GB Ram. I only use this cpu for basic internet and email. Monday I booted it up and it said a new version of Quicktime is available. I don't remember what version it said, but I told the prompt to go ahead and automatically update it. I did the update and restarted the cpu. Once it was restarted, I opened up iChat, Mail, Safari etc. I was in my mail program writing an email and all of a sudden it kicked me out to the finder level. Kinda like I took the mouse and clicked off the mail screen onto the desktop. So, I clicked back onto mail and proceeded. Next I was on the internet in safari and it did the same thing to me. It's so annoying b/c it does it when I'm in the middle of writing, it doesn't care, it just acts as if I'm clicking on the desktop....by the way it'll do it even when I'm not running any other applications. I'll be sitting there looking at the desktop, (no applications running) and all of a sudden all the icons and such disappear from my desktop for a quick second and then come back and acts as if everything's ok.
I've tried to fix it by the following:
Booted in safe mode - no change
Ran diskwarrior 3 times - no change
Restarted w/apple/option/o/f held down. reset-nvram set-defaults reset-all
Repaired permissions - no change
Anyhow, while even writing this to the forum, it happened at least six times.

Oh what to do?!?? Anyone w/help would greatly be appreciated. And by the way it has Quicktime 7.6 installed. There are no software updates available either. This is the weirdest thing! So annoying!
Thanks!
Jason

Yes, it is, I just thought that by putting up a new thread w/the actual problem as the name would attract someone who might know what's going on.

Yes, it is, I just thought that by putting up a new thread w/the actual problem as the name would attract someone who might know what's going on.

Others before you have done the same, and it's actually hindered responses because people don't know which to respond to, and then if there are responses, they are inconsistent with one another. This is why its best to just have one thread and then patiently wait for people to respond.

Your other option might be to contact one of the tech volunteers here and you'd get some more detailed help. Just follow the link below and explain the issue there, and one of the volunteer techs will give you some more personally-tailored assistance:
http://macosx.com/tech-support/ask/

Then show your appreciation by bestowing unto nixgeek the merciful and compassionate with Thanks and Positive Rep and your first born.

:)

--J.D.

Help us help you -- there is a link in this thread (you did read all two pages of this thread, starting at the beginning, right?) to another thread where there are some supposed fixes.

Have you tried those fixes?

Sorry all. The different threads had me confused and I have NEVER done this before.
I think it worked!!!! I can't believe Stuffit caused this problem all along!

Hi - this is the first time of posting on a forum for me. I had exactly the same problem with the finder crashing and opening up again every minute or so regardless of which program I was running. This all began after software update loaded up the recent quicktime and Java updates a few days ago. It's been driving me nuts....
I tried the usual trashing of the finder prefs in the library/preferences folder but to no avail. Then today, I ran the disk utility application to repair permissions on both drives that I have. The only other thing was that I installed the new safari (Beta 4 version) which I tend not to use anyway! (Firefox man, me is!). Anyhow, it not longer happens.....Yippee. Can't be sure whether the problem was the old version of safari clashing with the recent Java update (which started the problem off) or simply mixed up permissions. Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Back