Finder not running after 10.5.2 update

secondcup@veriz

Registered
I just installed the 10.5.2 update on my MacBook 1.25Ghz. After the update, the Finder appears to not be running. The desktop is blank, no hard drive icon or tool bar. The Dock, however works and I can run programs from it. Also, there is no "light" under the Finder icon in the Dock to indicate that it is running.

Very strange. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Secondcup

If you're comfortable with the Terminal, you can boot into single-user mode and then mount your hard drive, navigate to your home folder > Library > Preferences and then move/remove the "com.Finder.plist" file. If that's not enough, you might just move your entire Preferences folder to your Desktop then when you login a new one will be created for you. You could then migrate items from your old Prefs folder into the one. If neither of those works, put your Prefs folder back into your Library.

Similar issue. Update went fine, but upon awakening from sleep mode there were no desktop icons and no top menu bar. Force quit shows finder not responsive. Dock appears, but cannot start programs from dock. Restarted in single user mode and deleted com.finder.plist, but no luck. Upon reboot, still no finder, no desktop icons, and unable to run programs.

Back