Finder will not save my default HD View

macidiot

Registered
OK, normally when I open my HD, it comes up like I like it... in column view a certain size ect...

And normally if I open the HD, and make a change to the window size/view/ect, and not touch anything else, then close it, what ever my HD window looks like then will become my default. (I hope I am making sense)

but now, no matter what I do after a restart, or login my default HD window is small icons in a small window... if I change it it is good till I log out/restart. How can I get it to "remember" my default window view?

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

to have the finder remember window states, you do the following:

1. minimize the window by clicking the middle button in the upper left corner (the yellow one if you use colors) --
2. click it in the dock to make it appear again
3. close the window by clicking the red button or cmd+w

that's all, the finder should now remember the window state

Originally posted by macidiot
OK, normally when I open my HD, it comes up like I like it... in column view a certain size ect...

And normally if I open the HD, and make a change to the window size/view/ect, and not touch anything else, then close it, what ever my HD window looks like then will become my default. (I hope I am making sense)

but now, no matter what I do after a restart, or login my default HD window is small icons in a small window... if I change it it is good till I log out/restart. How can I get it to "remember" my default window view?

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

I had the same problem in OS X 10.1.5, view settings in windows, would revert to their dis-organized state, after a reboot.

But on the Apple support forums, I found this fix.....but then again, nopody's nerfect. :->

What has happened, is that a file called .DS Store file has been corruped. And apparently, according to those forums, the OS X's permissions super-ceed your root permissions. *l* So....go into your terminal, and type this following command exactly (or copy and paste, like I did)...

sudo find / -name .DS_Store -exec /bin/rm {} \;

It'll delete all those corrupt files. Reboot, change the view settings, then reboot again, and see that they've taken place. :->

Back