Fire.app and AIM

Ricky

Registered
Today I tried to log onto AIM with Fire and it didn't work. Fire is a great app, and I use it for AIM the most. I can't log on with it now, but cn with the official app.

I called my Mac friend and he had the same problem.

Reply if you're having problems with it too. If this continues I'm starting a petition.

Originally posted by ricky
Today I tried to log onto AIM with Fire and it didn't work. Fire is a great app, and I use it for AIM the most. I can't log on with it now, but cn with the official app.

I called my Mac friend and he had the same problem.

Reply if you're having problems with it too. If this continues I'm starting a petition.

Won't help you. AOL just kicked all those apps by changing their network, so the apps like Fire and Tri-thingyouknowwhatImeanonthePCs have to change their code again to find a way to log into the AOL network.

Somehow, I can understand it. Fire.app and the Tri-thing blocks adds, something AOL doesnt want. I don't like it, but it's understandable, and AOL sells this "third party blocking" as a "security update" to the public

Fire and trillion connect to diferent AIM servers there is an AIM server that is made for third party clients which is what fire uses and one for the official clients Trillion hacked onto the official ones becasue the official ones support more stuff such as file sharing I don't know what AOL did to make fire not be able to connect but Trillion and Fire are seperate.

The creator of Fire has always found a way to circumvent the restrictions that AOL has tried to put on their network... I remember a time when in a couple of days AOL changed a little something so that Fire wouldn't work, and the creator responded with a new update to Fire pretty quickly each time.

Originally posted by ablack6596
Fire and trillion connect to diferent AIM servers there is an AIM server that is made for third party clients which is what fire uses and one for the official clients Trillion hacked onto the official ones becasue the official ones support more stuff such as file sharing I don't know what AOL did to make fire not be able to connect but Trillion and Fire are seperate.

This, although hard to read, is correct. Adium, Fire, and a few other apps connect to AIM via TOC (Adium was rendered useless, as well). Trillian and a few others connect using OSCAR. Oscar allows for extra features, which is why Adium does not support file transfers and stuff like that.

TOC was supposed to be open so that third party apps could connect without AOL shutting them down, but it seems AOL has changed their mind. What doesn't make sense to me is that none of their own apps connect via TOC, so why would they keep TOC up if they want to shut down the third party apps? They could just delete the protocol altogether. But lets hope they don't do that. I'd hate to have to update my client 4 times a day like Trillian users in Windows do.

Originally posted by jokell82

TOC was supposed to be open so that third party apps could connect without AOL shutting them down, but it seems AOL has changed their mind. What doesn't make sense to me is that none of their own apps connect via TOC, so why would they keep TOC up if they want to shut down the third party apps?

I may be wrong in this, but I believe that their Java client connects via TOC. And incidentally, I was having the same problems everyone else was having, but using Proteus. It's now up again, so it might have just been a temporary outage.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix

I may be wrong in this, but I believe that their Java client connects via TOC. And incidentally, I was having the same problems everyone else was having, but using Proteus. It's now up again, so it might have just been a temporary outage.

I think their old Java AIM (Quick AIM) used TOC, and the new one (AIM Express) uses Oscar. I may be wrong on that though. In any case, it looks like all AOL did was change the server's location. Adium has a fix for it already ( http://homepage.mac.com/adamiser ) and I'm sure that Fire will be back up soon (if it isn't aleady).

i had some problems this morning with the most recent version of proteus, but now everything seems back to normal.

Back