Fixing The Frozen Startup with Spinning Wheel...Will Leopard Fix This For ME?!

seangunn

Registered
Hi There,

I hope you can help. I recently purchased an ibook g4 off of ebay. I went to run the software updates for iTunes 8.1 and Quicktime 7 that it told me to do. Afterwards its asked for a restart...once I did that...it started up to the grey screen, apple logo and a spinning wheel showing that its reading/loading...but never leaves that screen. ever.

I've tried all of Macs suggestions other than re-installing the 10.4 Tiger software the machine came with. Obviously I don't ahve that disc...as it wasn't part of the auction I won. I was planning on buying and upgrading to Leopard anywayu....my question is. If I do that, and try to boot from the Cd. will this fix the situation? Will it read that its the upgraded version and work properly ...and finally will it get rid of the iLife, iWork, iMovie, etc...that came with the machine?

please....any thing will help.

Hi
Sounds like your OS/boot is corrupt. Have you tried a shift boot into safe mode?
You should get hold of a Tiger boot disk to repair/re-install OS. Upgrading to Leopard might solve this, but I would recommend a full backup, format and re-install, I would not upgrade the current OS in the condition its in.
Yes you will lose the iLife/iWork doing it this way.
Also check your iBook can run leopard-
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/
Ed

The only way I get anything other than the grey screen, apple logo and continuos spinning wheel is if I go to the "command prompt"....

Also, I realized after buying Leopard that the ibook g4 I have only has a CD-ROM and no DVD capabilities. I'm hoping apple will just switch out the DVD for a CD-ROM.

Still searching for a Tiger disk to repair...harder then it sounds.

And yes, thankfully Leopard can run on my machine...if I can figure out how to get it on there. :-(

Hi everyone, my name is Gustavo and I live in Brazil, so my English is not the best. After spending a few days with the same problem as described, I found a solution and I’d like to share.

I have a jailbroken Iphone 4 that got frozen after an upgrade on Cydia. Same thing as the others, Apple logo for a few minutes and than a semi-frozen spinning wheel.

After some research, and innumerous attempts, I found a way to put your phone alive again. Download the latest version of Redsnow, go to extras, put your device on DFU mode and hit “Just boot” button, that will boot your device tethered. A few minutes later, my phone was working again …. but tethered.

After getting my phone back, I decided to find what happened, and how to solve it.

If you don’t know for sure what caused, the best thing is to restore your phone using Itunes. So, the process is easy to find on Youtube, and you just have to search for restore iphone.

Still, I had to find what made my phone freeze… Well, in my case the solution was related to a stupid idea I had a few days ago. I’m running iOS 5.0.1, but I had an App the required 5.1.1 for the latest upgrade… The genius here, edited the information inside the iphone using Ifunbox, and changed the iOS version number from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1. GREAT, I could bypass the limitation from my app, and downloaded the latest version.

Two days ago, I decided to upgrade my data counter app, that I had installed by Cydia. When I did it, Cydia decided to uninstall Corona Untether, once my system was running “5.1.1”, and this Corona needs an iOS 5.0.1 or 5.0… So, long story made short, when I upgraded Data Counter and lost Corona Untether, I lost the capability to boot my phone.

I changed my iOS version number back to 5.0.1, installed Corona again and rebooted smoothly.

I hope that this info may help you guys.

Best regards.

Back