Found this layin' around

twyg

Back to Mac Baby!
I'm probably opening pandora's box here, but check this out.

Attachments

• threadsucks.jpg
    threadsucks.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 125
Fantastic. I'm savin that on my hard drive and using it whenever the opportunity arises.

-the valrus

Last time I checked, you ended a question with a '?', also known as a question mark googol :)
Sorry, couldn't help it.

I'm definitely saving that pic for when it's useful here :eek:

? = huh
! = bang
# = hash
~ = squiggle or wiggle
' = tick
` = backtick
\ = whack
/ = slash
#! = shebang

Get it straight, ksuther. ;)

Valrus, I dont think "High Five, ksuther!" is proper grammar as that is a sentance fragment.

"Sorry, Couldn't help it" isn't a sentance either ksuther.

And maybe you should have said that you were saving that picture for a time when it would be useful here, instead of "for when it's useful here".

Oh yes, one more thing. You should probably capitalize your name, Valrus, when you sign your posts. Your username is capitalized.

:D

Is that enough grammar police?

You brought down the thunder, googolplex. :D

Originally posted by googolplex
Valrus, I dont think "High Five, ksuther!" is proper grammar as that is a sentance fragment.

While we're at it, I don't think :p is a proper punctuation mark either. Moving on though...

That was an imperative statement, not a full-fledged sentence. As such, it was as legitimate as, for example, "Piss off, gplex!" :D

Also, "don't" should have an apostrophe in it.

That sentence was redundant, too. You could have said "Valrus, 'High five, ksuther!' is a sentence fragment."

"Sorry, Couldn't help it" isn't a sentance either ksuther.

Oh, and, of course, it's "sentence," not "sentance."

And maybe you should have said that you were saving that picture for a time when it would be useful here, instead of "for when it's useful here".

The period goes inside the quotation marks.

Oh yes, one more thing. You should probably capitalize your name, Valrus, when you sign your posts. Your username is capitalized.

By the same reasoning, I think, your username should be capitalized, since you're using it as a proper noun. I think that with this one we can both get away with calling it "artistic license," à la e.e. cummings. :D

Is that enough grammar police?

Yes, I think it is.

-the valrus

p.s. Tell me if I'm being too much of a pompous ass and I'll stop. :p

The period goes inside the quotation marks.
I've had long disputes about this with English teachers and other grammar police. It's getting to be more and more accepted to use the period outside the quotes. The trend is mainly due to computer usage.

For example, if you are giving instructions on directory listings, it is more precise to write
Type "ls -l".
than the potentially confusing
Type "ls -l."

Note that the second "proper" form leads one to believe that the command to be entered includes a . at the end, which is incorrect and will cause an error.

I almost never use the . inside the quotes, since a lot of my writing is technical writing, and I'd hate to be confusing someone...

Not that this is important or anything... :p

Good point nkuvu. There do seem to be a lot of cases where it's more appropriate to put the punctuation outside the quotes. But let's face it, I was just trying to be a jerk and correct everything I possibly could. :p

-the valrus

I learned more English grammar in French class and Italian class than I ever did in a regular English class. :p Figures.

How I love Italian, though. There are not nearly as many exceptions (though there still are many), and it's really nice to be able to leave off the subject in any sentence.

By the way, I'd just like to point out then when you use quotes with normal conversation, the period always goes inside the quote, no matter if it's becoming more accepted to put it outside the quote in the case of giving Terminal commands.

SimX, I think you've come across one of the oddities one learns in school. English class teachers you jack-all about grammar! I only learned proper English grammer in my French and German classes, which can be unfortunate when I capitalize ALL nouns when I'm writing in english. C'est la vie. Das macht alles.

Where I come from (Denmark) you always use the punctuation outside the quote. Why would this be any different in english. In fact I just looked it up in the "Oxford advanced learner's dictionary", and it says that unless you end the quote with a "?" or "!" you put the punctuation mark outside the quote.

Originally posted by Paragon
Where I come from (Denmark) you always use the punctuation outside the quote. Why would this be any different in english. In fact I just looked it up in the "Oxford advanced learner's dictionary", and it says that unless you end the quote with a "?" or "!" you put the punctuation mark outside the quote.

As to why, it is probably because English is not Danish, and the orthography rules for punctuation differ.

As to Oxford Dictionary vs. Chicago Manual of Style, it is probably because UK English is not US English, and the orthography rules for punctuation differ.

Should I keep picking the nit?

Back