From Office vX, find CD used

brianleahy

Colonel Panic
I support an office with 5 networked Macs. Each has a legal copy of Office vX on it.

One of the machines is in need of a full wipe/reinstall. However, to avoid network-based lockouts, I need to determine which of the 5 Office CD-ROMs (stored together on a shelf) corresponds to this particular Mac.

I need, in short, to see something on the screen of the Mac that I can then look up on the packaging for the CD and know which is the correct one.

The "Product Code" in the 'About' window does not seem to do the trick; there are no codes anywhere on the packaging that appear to match it even in format.

Hmmm... I don't think it's possible with Microsoft products -- they like to convert the serial number into some sort of product code when you install. I think it's so that you can't just hop onto anyone's machine and steal their activation code.

You mean you didn't keep track of that information when you installed the programs?! Shame on you! ;)

Best bet would be to make a guess, install, and keep trying activation codes as you go. Be sure to write down the code and associated machine this time!

brianleahy said:
I support an office with 5 networked Macs. Each has a legal copy of Office vX on it.

Honestly, you're probably worrying over nothing. If you use the "wrong" cd to install Office onto the machine you are wiping, you will still own a legitimate license for the software. I don't think anyone would even remotely get on your case about it as far as organizations like the BSA, etc. The only one who might care would be your internal audit department, if any.

jjh

you will still own a legitimate license for the software

I'm not worried about breaking the law; the software will actually refuse to run if there is more than 1 copy with the same product code running on the LAN at a given moment. I found that out recently the hard way. :(

Could this information be stored in the plist? Although how you would read it I don't know. See what you mean about the "About" window though - looks nothing like an MS license number. Ridiculous, really - what use is it to you then? I suppose you read that number to Tech Support if you ever have to call them, although why this should be separate from the activation code is beyond me as the serial from one Office CD is useless for any other CDs, unless you have a volume license, so its not like you can nick it and use it elsewhere....

Back