ftp access over airport and cable modem

pboehi

Registered
I have a cable modem with a fixed IP address attached to an AirPort base station. When I turn on file sharing I see the IP address the AirPort assigns to the computer (10.0.1.18) but not the IP address from the cable modem which would be used when logging on from the outside. How am I supposed to configure my AirPort software to have the right IP address active for external ftp access? Thanks for any advice!

Here's how I have mine set up...

In my broadband router, for you it's your cable modem, I have the routing table set to forward all unsolicited packets to my Airport Base Station. In my Airport, I have port-mapping configured to forward all ftp traffic to my private server. This is assuming of course that your cable modem is capable of routing traffic. You will need to consult the cable modems users guide to see how to configure this.

Hope this helps...

Have a great weekend everyone.

Don

Don, thanks for your answer.

I need some more specific answers and step-by-step instructions since I am not a power user.

No problem.... what kind of cable modem and which version of Airport do you have? We can start from here as the Airport part is easy.

Cheers
Don

Don, I have:
- Zyxel Prestige 642R-I ADSL Router (over ISDN)
- Mac OS X 10.1.4
- Airport Admin Utility 2.0.2
- First generation Airport (grey)

Thanks, Peter

Peter,

Your Zyxel ISDN adapter can do this but implementation is not for the faint of heart and if done improperly can easily expose you to unwanted hacking. Zyxel uses a series of rules to filter out packets and is explained in chapter 8 of your users manual (available from www.zyxel.com if you don't have one). These rules need to be crafted very carefully and in a specific order before they will work properly. I checked the Zyxel knowledgebase and didn't find anything. I would recommend calling Zyxel for assistance or your ISP.

Something to keep in mind... these rules are most reliable if you don't use DHCP. After all... what good is a filter that forwards packets to an IP address that might change at the next reboot and cause your FTP server to disappear. Both your Airport and Zyxel can be configured to dole out IP address' and do the kind of port mapping you're looking to do. My point is, you should also understand IP addressing and port mapping before you move forward.

That said... do you still want to do this?

Do I really have to tweak my ADSL router settings or can I achieve this goal just by changing a few settings of the AirPort software? I am really not willing to change my router settings.

Yes, you need to update the Zyxel settings or it won't know what to do with the unsolicited incoming packets. This is true for every router that I've ever seen. Some are just easier to configure than others. For my hardware, 3Com, all I had to do was indicate from a pop-up menu which workstation receives these packets and had them go to my AirPort... which has a much better interface for configuring port-mapping. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Don

Back