ftp software between two server

giza9999

Registered
I need a FTP software which can transfer between two server (websites).
I need it to move my old website to new locations..it's too big if I must download on my computer first and then upload to new server.
Any body can help me?

Your options all depend on the rights you have on the servers or what OS they may be running.

if one of them is a unix server and you have administrator access you can ssh or telnet into it and use the CLI based FTP.

Both of the server are Unix, but I need FTP software which can running under Mac OSX, so I no need Telnet again.

If both are unix servers and you have admin rights to the server you want to download onto, all you need to do is open up the terminal and telnet (or SSH) from your machine to the server that you will be downloading to. From here use the command line based FTP program built into most unix systems to download the page from there.
Once you've telneted to the remote server, type "man ftp" for the exact syntax that you need to be using.

To my knowlege there is no way to do a transfer from server to server with a client application under OS X.

If it's possible you might be able to set up a SMB, AFP, or NFS share from the remote server, mount that volume, then FTP from the first server to the mounted volume using any normal OS X FTP program.

I don't know if this would work but here is what I would try:

1)Mount the server you want to get the stuff from in the finder using the connect to server command in the go menu (yes, I know people have had problems with this, but it seems to work for me)

2)Open your favorite FTP client and log into the destination server

3)Upload from the mounted source FTP to the destination FTP using your clients standard upload procedures (ex, in fetch you could drag from the finder window to the Fetch window)

Like I said, I don't know if this will work, but i'd give it a try. If anyone knows of a reason why this wouldn't work, let me know.

that wont work, you mounted the "drive" so you would first download the stuff from the mounted drive to your physical HD, then your ftp client would upload it to the other server, thus defeting the purpose...
telnet is the only way this can work....

you can do it. From the man page for the barebones commandline ftp included in OS X:

Code:
proxy ftp-command
                 Execute an ftp command on a secondary control connection.
                 This command allows simultaneous connection to two remote FTP
                 servers for transferring files between the two servers.  The
                 first proxy command should be an open, to establish the sec-
                 ondary control connection.  Enter the command "proxy ?" to
                 see other FTP commands executable on the secondary connec-
                 tion.  The following commands behave differently when pref-
                 aced by proxy: open will not define new macros during the
                 auto-login process, close will not erase existing macro defi-
                 nitions, get and mget transfer files from the host on the
                 primary control connection to the host on the secondary con-
                 trol connection, and put, mput, and append transfer files
                 from the host on the secondary control connection to the host
                 on the primary control connection.  Third party file trans-
                 fers depend upon support of the FTP protocol PASV command by
                 the server on the secondary control connection.

I'm sure that if you want to use graphical ftp clients, there are some that support multiple control channels. I recommend RBrowser Lite for usability, and I'm pretty sure it supports transfers directly between two servers.

Yes, RBrowser supports this feature, but only as a client, so both servers have to support this feature as well for it to work.

As far as I know, FTP does not or is not really designed for this particular (server-to-server) usage, whereas SCP or sftp are (secure copy and/or secure ftp). Both 'scp' 'sftp' are ssl based.

dani++

Back