G4 OS 10.2.8 gray shadow freeze

timber2006

Registered
We have a Quicksiver G4 with an 867 processor running OS 10.2.8. and 1.5 GB of ram, the system freezes intermittently, a gray shadow will start at the top of the screen and will cover the screen like a curtain. We purchased new ram after I discovered one of the ram modules was bad by running "Memtest" but the problem persists.

9 out of 10 times when I get to work in the the morning the computer will be frozen with the grey shadow and has the message "Please restart the computer by holding the power button or reset button" not an exact quote but I am sure you know what I mean. All applications are shut down when I leave at night, the comp is still connected to the network.

I saw on one website that "Mac" had some kind of fix for lockups where you type a line or two in the Console and reboot but I cannot find that link again.
Thanks for any help you can provide,
Tim

Take all the memory out of the machine except the original and see what happens.

If you have the Hardware Test on your original discs, run that.

I replaced all the memory, the original was the bad module, unless there is onboard memory, which I am not sure about. After running "Memtest" all seemed OK. But the computer was froze this morning

No onboard (permanent) memory.

Run Disk Utility from the 10.2 disc.

Get TechTool Pro if possible and run all the tests on that.

I ran the disk utility from the install disk and also the hardware test disk. Hardware test disk showed no errors, all hardware passed. The disk utility showed some errors with the permissions, which were repaired.

I would log into a different User account and see if the problem is present.

Could be wrong, but sounds like a hardware problem.

Back