G4 Ti-book with dead white LCD

smtpgeek

Registered
hello-

I have a Ti G4 powerbook(dvi) that will not display to the screen, besides a screen full of white. The machine boots up, but only shows to the external display. I just got this computer like this(first mac, too!)....broken, so you will understand this next comment. When the computer boots and as I am looking at the external monitor, I do not see any thing besides a white screen. After about 30 seconds, the login screen just appears. The question is....shouldn't there be some type of display activity between pushing the power button and seeing the login screen? I thought that this was out of the ordinary so I thought to mention it. If not, then I am hoping I can diagnose the screen issue.

I am trying to rule out the inverter, or the cable before I replace the LCD. Does anyone know if these are symptoms of a bad LCD?

thanks,
Bob

Is there any change when the external display is NOT attached? (make sure the video adapter is not plugged in)
Can you see the Open Firmware screen (Hold Opt-Cmd-o-f) This screen will be white with grey text. If you can see that, type reset-nvram, and press enter. You should get an 'OK' Then type set-defaults, and press enter, again you should get an 'OK' finally type reset-all and press enter, and your powerbook should reboot.
IMPORTANT - even if you see no change on the screen at this time and it's still blank, Type the above commands (including the '-' with no spaces) one at a time - blind. Your system should still reboot after the reset-all command.
No change yet? Might be an inverter board. Could be a display. Possibly a logic board. One should first check the cables from the display to the logic board.

well, I wish I would have seen your post before I went ahead and opened the case of my powerbook. I ended up ruining the LCD cable and now I have to try to find another before I can try to do what you have suggested.

As far as any differences in the screen without the video cable plugged in...there is NO difference. I should prolly mention that I got this notebook wth broken hinges. They need to be replaced, and could have also messed up the video cable in such a way as to fried something on the logic board. This is very upsetting to me as I have been reading some stuff on the internet suggesting that this may be the case. I am not sure that this has happened as the cable looked like it was not on the best of condition. I checked the chip that has been know to melt away at Q23 in these LCD cable situations(see http://www.applefritter.com/node/5466 ), and it looks intact. I am not certain if that means anything at all, other than it has not been fried....but could something else be? So my question is can a LCD cable all by itself create these issues? Supposedly this computer had intermittant problems with the display, and at one point I did see a faint image on the display.

Also, can someone point me in a direction to get a new LCD cable for my powerbook(dvi)?

Well, I not sot sure that I have been dumb or brave in this situation of opening my pb. I guess only time will tell. I can always use it for a desktop if all else fails......but untill then I am going to diligently try to get this functioning. If anybody has any suggestions or insight, please do not hesitate. TIA

Thanks,
-Bob

I hope you got a really good deal on a non-working powerbook (like free?) If you want to repair this system, your first choice should be the hinges. I've seen too many of these when the owner let the hinges go too long, and then needed video cables replaced after tearing them apart. (They are in the hinge area, you know)
Here's a LINK to one service that provides hinge repair kits, or you can ship the powerbook for the repair. It looks like about $350 just to replace both hinges. That doesn't replace your video cables. You could call them to ask if they can provide other repairs while they are fixing the hinges. Good luck!

I do plan on fixing the hinges...as a matter of fact, that goes without saying. You certainly do not seem to optimistic about the repair of the laptop. I was under the impression that is was part of your realm. I may have been wrong in that assumption. I am not about to pay someone $350 to repair the hinges on the laptop. I have fixed many a laptop and I don't intend on overpaying someone to fix this one. I got the display apart perfectly and this is the first powerbook I have tackled in my life. You can find suggestions on how to do this on the internet or do what I did and use a flexible piece of thin,strong plastic to separate the LCD from the titanium shell.

I am looking for some help and support form someone who has possibly dealt with this or similar situation that I am having with the hinge/LCD cable. To reiterate, I would like to know is if the cable all to itself can contribute to the white screen or is something fried on the board?

No need to be afraid of your powerbook! I was a bit nervous of opening the powerbook as they are new to me, but I am glad that I am more familiar with them now.

thanks,
Bob

smtpgeek said:
I am not about to pay someone $350 to repair the hinges on the laptop. I have fixed many a laptop and I don't intend on overpaying someone to fix this one. I got the display apart perfectly and this is the first powerbook I have tackled in my life.
To reiterate, I would like to know is if the cable all to itself can contribute to the white screen or is something fried on the board?
Glad you are relatively handy with laptop repairs, and, sure, you can save money by doing that yourself, it's not too difficult. Probably the biggest issue is getting spare parts. You can see in the link that the replacement hinges are the most expensive part. If you have take-apart tools, and some epoxy to glue the hinge supports into the display housing, then you save about $100 or more. Could the video cable cause your 'white' issue - Yes, it's likely. Your logic board is PROBABLY OK, if you can get external video.

Actually, I stand to save about $250 doing the hinge repair myself if i am comparing the numbers from the powerbookmedic.com. The fancy thing about ebay is that they have the best deals. I can currently get a pair of oem hinges(the updated ones), for about $125, shipped. That means I also do not have to ship my powerbook across hells creation, saving me big bucks. While I don't recommend this for the average idiot, I feel this is something that should be reserved for the above average idiot! lol

It is a VICTORY!! I have done fixed the display problem, and installed new hinges. To fix the display problem, I put in a new video data cable. It was a little overwelming at first when I opened the computer up, but pbfixit.com has a free http manual that shows you what do as good as a picture can.

Anyhow, I saved mucho money doing it myself. Actually it wasn't even an issue...I could not afford to let anyone fix my computer. Your talking close to a grand for new hinges and video data cable installed.

Almost anyone that works on computers can tackle this, in my opinion. It was fun anyhow.

-Bob

Back