G5 configuration advice on HD's....

Birdman

Registered
I'll be purchasing a G5 when the new models are "supposed" to be announced in Jan.

I'm an illustrator and will need plenty of HD space, and storage...

I don't really understand the thinking behind putting a bunch of storage drives inside the tower ( unless I can be convinced otherwise ;0) ). Archiving stored artworks is a priority for me, as I currently use a firewire drive, as storage on my G4 that can be simply unplugged and removed for storage, or a in case of a fire(!), or yes, tornados. No lugging the tower. This way I can also easily swap out firewire drives from a safety deposit box.

So given my needs, am I missing something about adding drives on the inside at the time of purchase? It seems an external drive is the way to go for storage for me(?). IF I was to buy additional internal drives, is it foolish to buy them from Apple or Apple reseller, like it is w/ memory, and get them much cheaper from reputable 3rd parties?

Thanks! T i m

speed. internal drives will out perform external firewire 400 drives. also, i've had many more firewire drives suffer from corrupt data than internal ones but that might be just bad luck.

I would suggest (for your situation) a firewire drive. You can create your own, just buy a firewire bay and put an IDE hard disk in it. You can see the one I made for my system sitting on top of my G5 in this pic:
G5_2.jpg

it cost me about 60 bucks for the 120GB hard drive and then 40 bucks for the drive bay... so far its worked great.

You need plenty of hard drive space, so go with two drives. It's usually always cheaper to buy memory, drives, etc, from other vendors than Apple.

Archiving stored artworks is a priority for me, as I currently use a firewire drive, as storage on my G4 that can be simply unplugged and removed for storage, or a in case of a fire(!), or yes, tornados. No lugging the tower. This way I can also easily swap out firewire drives from a safety deposit box.

Keep doing what you're doing now with the external FW drive.

If I were you, I would also archive to a DVD weekly, or when ever you have enough to fill the DVD disks.

"I would suggest (for your situation) a firewire drive. You can create your own, just buy a firewire bay"

A firewire bay?

"and put an IDE hard disk in it."

an IDE hard disk?

Thanks for the help, Fahrv, but as you can see, I'm not familiar w/ these items, though I know what a "disk" is.

More details please, if you don't mind.

Thanks, T i m

Tim
You can buy a firewire case, (bay) and put an IDE drive in it and use it as an external disk, basically what you're already doing with your external drive.

Back