G5 Extra Graphics Card Recommendation

HyperLiteG4

Registered
I have been asked to research buying a new video editing system and so far it looks like we are getting a G5. So I'm looking for another graphics card to power a secondary monitor. They won't buy a Apple monitor :( so I have to stick with dual NEC 21in CRT's which they already own. I know I can't use the ADC connection for the VGA monitor right? So I have to get a PCI video card.

The only I can seem to find is the ATI Radeon 7000. Is there anything else out there? Anyone know anything about compatability with the G5?

Thanks so much!

You don't need a new videocard, yours already supports dual monitors. You can buy an ADC to VGA adaptor, and a DVI to VGA adaptor, total cost for both, around $50-70 depending on where you buy them.

Brian

btoneill's right, and yes, your only option for a 2nd video card is the Radeon 7000 (or a regular Mac Radeon, if you can still find them) since you've only got one AGP slot and the rest are PCI.

If the extras for the G5's are anything like what came with my G4, it comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor, so you would only need the ADC to VGA adaptor. And yes the only pci card (new) currently available is the Radeon 7000, but there was a press release from macworld that ATI is working on a pci version based of the 9000 series.

They didn't release a date yet though...

Back