G5 laptop when

Not until at least late-2005 to mid-2006. The rumor sites, as well as my contacts within IBM and Apple, seem to confirm this.

Forget waiting. The performance advantage of a low-end G5 (the first G5 PowerBooks will probably be 1.6ghz) is not going to justify waiting for over a year.

In fact, in all honesty, I think there's never been a better time to buy a PowerBook, in terms of the balance of cost to power, the longevity of the machine, the fact that it is a well developed and proven model (the first generation of any new machine is always more likely to come in for warranty repairs. Its the same in any business), and there's not likely to be any significant updates real soon to either hardware or software.

Well I agree with Symphonix and going ahead and purchase a Powerbook. But I would wait until after MWSF to do so. Probably some speed bumps and price drops.

diablojota said:
Well I agree with Symphonix and going ahead and purchase a Powerbook. But I would wait until after MWSF to do so. Probably some speed bumps and price drops.
Agree with both Symphonix (get a PB G4) and Diablojota (wait till after MWSF).

To add one more thought - the PB G4 is all you'll need from a laptop. If you want a G5+ (i.e. you need more processing power than a G4 for work related reasons), you're eventually going to get a desktop machine (iMac or PowerMac).

Kap

Anyone find it strange that there is no mention of the Powerbook G5 in that article? Also, how likely is it for Apple to debut a Powerbook G5 and iBook G5 so close together? That would make their Powerbooks look less 'power'.

True, power user should have G5. But since the iMac is G5 now the ibook should get a G5 processors too. And let's not forget that the case of the ibooks is much older than the one from the alubooks.
On the other hand: how long did we have the G4 ibooks? 1 year? A little bit too less for my taste. The powerbooks are working on G4 processors since 2001, right?

But the iMacs had G4 processors long before the iBooks did. I don't think that table is accurate. However, I look forward to being surprised :).

Back