G5- second internal hard drive

sdj657

Registered
I'm trying to install a HD from my old G4 (the HD is only about 1-1.5 years old) into the 2nd bay on my new G5, but the connections are different. The HD is a serial ATA maxtor, which takes a multi-pin connector plug (in the G4, this was on a wide ribbon cable), about a 20-pin. The G5 appears to take a sort of blade connection. I can't seem to find any info on an adapter, or any info at all on this kind of issue. Any ideas what's going on?

I'm attaching a pic of the situation.

Any input appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• g5hd.jpg
    g5hd.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 20
The only way you can use a hard drive from your G4 is to add an ATA/IDE PCI Controller card to run the old drive off of. It won't work on the SerialATA Controller in the G5.

bobw said:
The only way you can use a hard drive from your G4 is to add an ATA/IDE PCI Controller card to run the old drive off of. It won't work on the SerialATA Controller in the G5.

Ugh. Thanks!

AFAIK there are plenty of Serial ATA -> ATA converters around, it´s just a kind of connector you put between the ATA-disk and the SATA-connector. Not too expensive i think but I haven´t really checked. I think ABIT shipped such converters with their first SATA-equipped motherboards and I´m sure that it would work just as well in mac, the SATA/ATA part is identical to a PC.

Back