G5 won't pick up screen

spitty27

Apple Avid
hello,

recently i installed SwitchRes X on my g5 (listed in sig), to test if my monitor (nokia 447zi 17" crt) could go any higher than 1280 x 1024. after messing with some things, i reverted back to 1280 x 1024, but at a hz the screen could not handle, and nothing i hit on the keyboard, restart, target disk mode and deleting "profiles" in the colorsync folder in the main library will fix it. im stuck here with a headless g5, when i plug in the monitor, i can see the booting up (the grey logo and the spokes) but right before it gives the blue background and logs me in, the screen turns black and says no signal, cable OK. i dont know what to do and would very much like to be back on the g5, and not on my pismo :p although its still a heck of a machine.

thanks for the help in advance.

edit: booting up by target disk mode to the powerbook - looks like the resolution is 1280 x 1024, but when it tries to log me in to my settings i guess it sets itself to a hz the screen doesnt support. should i remove the prefs for switchres?

thanks again

Try resetting the PRAM by holding down option+command+p+r on startup. That should reset monitor resolution and a few other settings, which are stored in the "toolbox" area of the memory.

hehe i feel stupid for not trying that - i am going to do that now - also, what exactly will it reset that i will have to redo once im back in?

::eek:ff to reset pram::

The clock. Except from that, I think everything will be regenerated automatically.
If you've got multiple boot partitions, you may have to set the correct partition again.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!~!~~~~~!!!!!! stupid pos!!!!! i got a big nasty 640 x 480 screen with a big nasty apple logo, and then the monitor shut off again and gave me that stupid error of no signal and cable ok. i plugged it into the powerbook and it works fine.

any other suggestions please?

should i unplug the monitor, shut down, boot up, shut down, zap pram again, shut down, plug in monitor, boot up?

spitty27 said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!~!~~~~~!!!!!! stupid pos!!!!! i got a big nasty 640 x 480 screen with a big nasty apple logo, and then the monitor shut off again and gave me that stupid error of no signal and cable ok. i plugged it into the powerbook and it works fine.

any other suggestions please?

should i unplug the monitor, shut down, boot up, shut down, zap pram again, shut down, plug in monitor, boot up?

Ouch :p

When exactly in the boot process does the monitor shut off? Please tell me, and I'll try to figure it out. Could be a setting the the /Library folder or something.

k i see the apple logo on the grey background, then i see the spokes spinning, then about 4 seconds later, the screen turns blue, as if it will give the welcome to mac os x window with the progress bar, but right after the screen turns blue, and before that window shows up, the screen turns black and gives a message on the screen saying "No Signal. Cable OK."

thanks for your help

spitty27 said:
k i see the apple logo on the grey background, then i see the spokes spinning, then about 4 seconds later, the screen turns blue, as if it will give the welcome to mac os x window with the progress bar, but right after the screen turns blue, and before that window shows up, the screen turns black and gives a message on the screen saying "No Signal. Cable OK."

thanks for your help

I'm not sure, and I've not tried this, but try removing the com.apple.windowserver.plist file in /Library/Preferences. Don't delete it, just rename it to something like com.apple.windowserver.plist.old so you can name it back if it really screws up.

If that doesn't do the trick, try starting the G5 in target mode and boot the powerbook from the G5's drive, then change the resolution settings.

ok, so i named it .old, booted up, and saw the Mac OS X startup progressbar window, and right when that finished, the screen turned black again, the error looks like this:

----------------------
ERROR
Red [red line]
Green [green line]
Blue [blue line]

Signal: Not valid
Cable connected OK

89.1kHz 60Hz
----------------------

im going to try to boot up from the g5 drive now. (do i still need to hold down t after i choose it as a startup disk over firewire?)

spitty27 said:
ok, so i named it .old, booted up, and saw the Mac OS X startup progressbar window, and right when that finished, the screen turned black again, the error looks like this:

----------------------
ERROR
Red [red line]
Green [green line]
Blue [blue line]

Signal: Not valid
Cable connected OK

89.1kHz 60Hz
----------------------

im going to try to boot up from the g5 drive now. (do i still need to hold down t after i choose it as a startup disk over firewire?)

Okay, so you got farther this time? If so, it could just be another preference file to deactivate :p

You only need to hold down t when starting the G5, then release it when you see the firewire logo.

ok, im booted up on my powerbook off the g5 hd (soooo weird!!! :confused: ) and its defaulted 1024 x 768...what do you recommend i do? (1024 x 768 is the highest the powerbook goes). or did it change the resolution on the g5 and now i can boot back up from it?

Yea, just change the resolution to something else and back again, and try booting the G5 :)

ok, that didnt work. i hooked it up to my brother's Apple 17" Studio display (after a long time of convincing) and it supported the new hz, so i set it back to 60, the one my screen handles. i hooked it all back up and it STILL screws up. i really dont know wht to do, and the harddrive is louder than ever after all these powerdowns and restarts and im really worried. i do NOT want to reformat and install. is there anything else i should try deleting?

ok i booted up into safe mode (shift) and i got to the desktop...should i do an archive and install or does it recognize ok now (it booted up in a nasty resolution and i changed to 1280 x 1024)

ok, please delete this thread lol. safe mode fixed it all i changed the reso and now it boots up fine, thanks again ksv for all your help.

Back