Getting an Apple Select Laser to work in 10.2

Durbrow

Registered
A friend of mine just upgraded to 10.2. She can no longer print. She has a USB to Serial adaptor on her PowerMac G4 and she is printing to her Apple Select laser (a serial printer). Should I advise her to install the "GIMP" printer system or is there an easier solution? (No she is not keen on buying a USB printer). Any tips much appreciated.

Which LaserWriter Select model? If it is a Select 300, which I think is a quickdraw printer, it won't happen.
If it is a Select 360, then Appletalk should work with this model (the 300 has ONLY the round serial connector, the 360 has several connectors for use with PCs or with external SCSI drives, The small round connection for Appletalk is still the one that works for the Mac. Drivers for this Select 360 are still native in with 10.2

Select 300 - Quickdraw printer - won't work.
Select 310 - Serial and Parallel connections - not supported in X
Select 360 - Serial, Parallel and Localtalk - Postscript Level II - will work with a Localtalk to Ethernet adapter.

Or, if you have an older, serial Mac (with Ethernet) hanging around, use it as a print server (cheaper than buying the Asanté or Farallon LocalTalk-to-Ethernet adapters).

I use a PowerMac 7300, running 9.2.2, as my print server for my LaserWriter Pro 600 (which has LocalTalk, Parallel and Serial). Using LocalTalk Bridge (from Apple), it can see my LAN and the LocalTalk printer at the same time. Works perfectly.

There is always the option of spending $50 (or cheaper after rebates) on a new inkjet printer that has alot better quality then an older laserwriter select 300/310. IIRC my old Select 310 was a whopping 300dpi at 5ppm. For $50 you can buy a Lexmark Z605 that does 2400x1200 DPI and 14ppm. It has OS X support, so no hacking needed. Also, it's alot quieter, and uses alot less energy then the old laserwriter, especially if you leave your printer on 24/7.

Brian

Back