Getting XP to connect to MySQL database on Mac

markpatterson

Registered
Hi,

I am experimenting with MySQL. I would like to use the Mac as a database server. I have managed to get the mac to look at a test DB on XP, and on the mac I have created a new database. But when I try from XP to connect to the one on the mac, I get the error:
Host 10.0.1.2 is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
where 10.0.1.2 is the XP machine.

I have opened port 3306 in Sharing. When I did that, it changed the error I was getting to this "not allowed" one. With that port closed the message I get is
Can't connect to MySQL server on '10.0.1.4'
where 10.0.1.4 is the Mac

Any ideas what to do?

TIA,

Mark

Do you need to have both the TCP and UDP 3306 ports open?

Doen't XP have some sort of bulitin firewall too? OS X doesn't block UDP, but XP might...

When in doubt do a port scan of your mac to confirm the port is really open.

TommyWillB said:
Do you need to have both the TCP and UDP 3306 ports open?
I don't know. I just used the OS X firewall on OS X and sygate personal on XP. I clicked on Allow on Sygate when I tried to access the XP machine from the Mac. Sygate pops up a requester when it detects a new type of access. For OS X, I found out what the port was in Sygate, and added that to the OS X builtin firewall.

When in doubt do a port scan of your mac to confirm the port is really open.
OK, how do I do that?

TIA,

Mark

markpatterson said:
...OK, how do I do that?
TOn the Mac side you can also use the program called Network Utility in the Applications > Utilities folder. Port scan is the last tab.

I'd guess that Windows has a similar thing, but I don't know for sure... It would be better to do this from there as the problem might be on that side.

Every client connects to a MySQL database with a username/password. Make sure you're using a valid username/password combination to connect from the XP box.

Back