Going from Panther to Leopard

RonaldMacDonald

Registered
I have a G4 Mac (10.3.9) and have decided to throw in the towel and get a new machine. One thing I would like to know about is if Leopard can create .pdf files in the print dialog box like Panther does. I like Preview more than Acrobat.

I have Illustrator 10 and Photoshop Elements 2.0. What is the cheapest way to go about this? Should I buy upgrades or buy full new versions? Ditto Office X.

I use RDC to login to a Win 2003 server. Any issues with Leopard?

Will I need a product like DiskWarrior?

Anything else I ought to know about?

Hi
Yes you can create pdf from print window, no problem there
Do the upgrades where ever you can, you dont need to install older version, in most cases just supply old number or insert old disks for verification.
RDC is version 2 UB from MS-
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8431/microsoft-remote-desktop-connection

Personally I find DiskWarrior useful in very few situations, it was great in OS9 but in OSX I find that it does not help unless you have a certain problem.

Also make sure you get drivers for any older devices you will attach to new machine, scanner printers etc. Check there are updates from manufacturer.

OK, I went out today and bought a 24" iMac with 4MB of ram. Before I even take it out of the box, I have some questions.

I was thinking of partitioning the HD and installing windows on one of the partitions. I do not expect to use Windows very often. Therefore I am wondering if it might be more trouble than its worth. When I start up the machine everyday, will it constantly ask me which partition I wish to boot from? I ask now as if I am not mistaken this is a case of where you make your bed there shall you sleep.

Do the upgrades where ever you can, you dont need to install older version, in most cases just supply old number or insert old disks for verification.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade from Illustrator 10? I don't care if I can't upgrade to CS4. I just want a version that will work on Leopard. According to the Adobe website, if you want to upgarde to Illustrator CS4, you need to have"Adobe Illustrator CS3, CS2, or CS; or Macromedia® FreeHand® MX, 10, or 9"

Am I SOL? Or, is there a cheap way to do it.For example, is there a way to buy a somewhat older upgrade?

I purchased a new ProMac recently that came with Leopard Installed. I found that my
PSE2 was not compatible with it. Neither was the scanner or printer driver. I had to download drivers with updates from the manufacturer. I also had trouble opening email
attachments, but downloaded Flip4Mac and Perian at the advice of this Forum, thank goodness, and it opens ninety percent of them. I purchased PSE6, and installed it with
no trouble. You will like Leopard, once you get these things fixed. The Pros on this site
have really been a great help to me. Good Luck on your venture.
Jack

OK, I went out today and bought a 24" iMac with 4MB of ram. Before I even take it out of the box, I have some questions.

I was thinking of partitioning the HD and installing windows on one of the partitions. I do not expect to use Windows very often. Therefore I am wondering if it might be more trouble than its worth. When I start up the machine everyday, will it constantly ask me which partition I wish to boot from? I ask now as if I am not mistaken this is a case of where you make your bed there shall you sleep.

You will be able to set a partition to boot from every time you start up the computer; this way you are not prompted to choose from either on startup.
However, if you decide to boot up in Windows one time you can restart the computer and hold option. This will allow you to choose from either; once you restart again it will boot up into Mac OS X again.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade from Illustrator 10? I don't care if I can't upgrade to CS4. I just want a version that will work on Leopard. According to the Adobe website, if you want to upgarde to Illustrator CS4, you need to have"Adobe Illustrator CS3, CS2, or CS; or Macromedia® FreeHand® MX, 10, or 9"

Am I SOL? Or, is there a cheap way to do it.For example, is there a way to buy a somewhat older upgrade?

Personally I think that it would be best to just upgrade to the CS4 suite that suits you best. This way you are covered for later and won't have to upgrade again since you do have a new computer.

Hi
For some reason i didnt get update emails about this thread I answered until now?
Anyway, if you install Windows under a boot camp partition you can option boot to choose which partition or just let it boot into one select in sys prefs.

Just checked with my Adobe supplier and there is no mention of having to upgrade from a CS to Illustrator CS4 even though thats what the adobe website says. Another option is to source a CS3 version from eBay or retailer who is carrying old stock, it will run fine on newer Mac's.
Ed

Are there any other must-have software products I would need for Intel Mac (Leopard)? I installed WindowShade as I have been using it for the past 15 years. What about the function keys? Do I need software like X-keys in order to be able to set function keys to open applications? What about defraging the HD? Is there an Apple solution already on the machine to do that?

Are there any other must-have software products I would need for Intel Mac (Leopard)?

A lot can be done with free software these days, I think fellow forum lurker Mikuro has a good list in his signature. Things like Perian & VLC for video, Little Snitch if you fancy added security, Quicksilver as a launcher, Apps like Cocktail or Onyx to simplify system maintenance.

RonaldMacDonald said:
I installed WindowShade as I have been using it for the past 15 years.

WindowShadeX is Leopard Compatible though occasionally updates to the system cause temporary issues with Haxies, but less so these days.

RonaldMacDonald said:
What about the function keys? Do I need software like X-keys in order to be able to set function keys to open applications?

If you want a launcher I really like QuickSilver which I mentioned before. On the newer macs the F keys are used for other purposes so I suggest not using them as launchers myself. Quicksilver also allows you to set global hotkeys so you could maybe use that to setup apple-Fkey as application shortcuts. That or use the Dock of course, but i can relate to wanting to use keyboard-fu whenever possible.

RonaldMacDonald said:
What about defraging the HD? Is there an Apple solution already on the machine to do that?

Defragging is not necessary in modern OS X machines - it does it in the background. Instead yopu need to Repair Permissions every now and then. You can do this either via Disk Utility or with an app like Onyx which just offers an easy interface to the many inbuilt system maintenance functions of OS X.

Little by little I am getting things set up and enjoying my new toy. I have a question about how MAIL is different from MAIL in Panther.

In Panther, I see a small circular thing on the upper right of the message viewer that goes around when it is checking for messages. With MAIL on Leopard it is not displayed. Now I realize there is little icon at the bottom that is for viewing mail activity, but it only shows when messgaes are actually downloading. Having that open also takes up space on the viewer and I don't care for that. But even with that open, it is hard to tell if MAIL is doing anything at all. I kind of miss that circular thing that spins around on Panther. Am I missing something here?

BTW, I have always felt this is an excellent board. Thanks for the help.

Hi Ronald
That circular thing does appear in Leopard Mail but very quickly next to Inbox. I use the activity window (command 0) to watch progress as I have numerous POP/IMAP mailboxes. I keep this small window down in bottom left of screen behind main message window
Ed

Back