Good mail client that allows .mac aliases?

minicoopertx

Registered
I love the Mail app in Tiger, but it doesn't love me. It hangs up, it tells me that mail is sent when it isn't, it sends mail but never shows the mail as sent, and if I send an attachment larger than a meg or so, it dumps into the outbox and just dies there. I've HAD IT.

I've been using the .mac website to do mail, but I miss the features of a full-fledged email client...

I tried Mozilla Thunderbird, which is nice, BUT it doesn't work well with the aliases on my .mac account (I have an alias for when I sign up on websites, another for my church choir, etc). It will RETRIEVE email from all those aliases, but when I reply, it will not use the email add in the "from" field that the orig email was sent to. This means that the person on the other end sees reply mail coming from a "different" person than the one they sent mail to. You can imagine the confusion (and accusations of forwarding mail without permission!).

Is there a good email client out there that will work well with .mac aliases?

minicoopertx said:
I love the Mail app in Tiger, but it doesn't love me. It hangs up, it tells me that mail is sent when it isn't, it sends mail but never shows the mail as sent, and if I send an attachment larger than a meg or so, it dumps into the outbox and just dies there. I've HAD IT.
I use Mail 2.0.5 in OS X 10.4.3 with multiple email accounts including .Mac and a .Mac alias account, it never hangs, it always sends correctly unless .Mac is offline for some reason, and the only problem I have had with large attachments is when the recipients POP server rejects them as too large.

I don't know how much troubleshooting you have done but it sounds as if you could do with some. If you are interested in solving the problem I, and I am sure others on this forum, are willing to help you work through the problems. Some clarification of your symptoms would be helpful:
  1. Are you using .Mac as a POP or IMAP account? (The .Mac default is IMAP)
  2. When it tells you the mail is sent, but it isn't, does the message end up in the Sent or Drafts folder?
  3. When it sends the mail, but never shows it as sent does the message remain in the Drafts folder or is it transferred to the Sent folder?

I'm also using mail 2.0.5 in OS X 10.4.3 - as for POP vs IMAP, I'm not sure. Mail that has been deleted goes into the trash folder and is accessible, so I'm guessing IMAP. My ISP uses a POP server, but I don't use Mail to check that mailbox, since the only email addresses I use are with .mac. I haven't even given that ISP's info to Mail.

When it says mail is sent, but it isn't, it DOES NOT show up in the "sent" folder. It simply just disappears. Other times, this same thing happens (not shown in "sent" or "outbox" BUT the recipient gets the mail anyway.

The biggest headache is when the mail just goes straight to the outbox and just stalls there. I can't seem to get it to do ANYTHING but sit in the outbox once it gets there. Most times, there is no outbox, it just does the 'whoosh' sound and it gets sent. Sometimes, however (and esp when there are file attachments), I click send and the dreaded outbox gets created. At this point, I usually just copy the mail text to the clipboard, go to the .mac site, then paste the text into a mail from the website and send it that way. Experience tells me that the mail in the outbox is just going to die there. I eventually just delete it.

Other system info that might be helpful: I have an iMac G5 with a 2ghz processor and 1G of RAM. I have a motorola cable modem and an AirLink router. There is also a PC on the router, sharing the modem. The PC is usually ON, but is almost never actively using the connection when I'm on the mac. Generally, the PC is on the account login screen when I'm using the mac.

I hope this helps. I'm fairly new to the mac and this is (amazingly!) the only real problem I've had with any of the software.

Back