Goodbye Epson

PowermacG4_450

OS X Jaguar
Said it to HP and their printers. NO mac support AFTER the sale.... driver issue.... I bought newer OS versions, and HP didnt upgrade their drivers! :( (no mac support after the sale IMHO). For THIS very reason, I no longer buy or use HP stuff.

Same with epson and my perfection 636U scanner. :( Still no OSX driver support for this scanner...... why? I have no idea.

Just bought a canon CanoScan LiDE 20, $80, included a $20 circuit city gift card/store credit! USB. 48 bit, osX drivers! Now THERES a concept! OSX support!

(Paid $200 for the epson scanner about 2-3 yrs ago!!)

Anywho, for this reason, no osX after sale support, Im done with epson!

There.... Ive vented. lol. I feel better now.

Hmm, yeah that bites. I have an Epson Perfection 610 which is supported, I guess I'm lucky. I suppose you've tried VueScan then...

I'm in the same boat. I have Epson 636u scanner and its useless without OSX support. I've tried VueScan but its shareware and I shouldn't have to pay for software to use my epson scanner. I'm very disappointed in epson as well, but am not ready to put down another $100 bucks for another one.

I tried vuescan. I didnt care for it.

I cant beleive epson dont have osX drivers out after all this time. Makes no sense to me. :mad:

and I dont understand why they support the 610 and NOT the 636u. ???

I think the 610 is an older model, so.. its crazy. I gave up waiting for them....

I have a Epson 1200 Photo scanner I purchased in 2000. I just found out Epson has drivers for the 1250 and I am going to see if they work.

They have a large list of recently updated Mac OSX drivers for a wide variety of older products:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...ID=hadcgekfhdfebfdmcfjgckidnk.0&noteoid=17764

In Epson's defense, they do have current drivers for System 8 and 9. As much as I may want to beat them up for not having OSX drivers specifically for my scanner, they did a pretty good job for $200.00. OSX is vastly different than OS 9, so I will not fault them for not providing me with drivers for software for a product they never even had advance information about when they created the scanner two years ago.

Even if Epson does not get around to releasing drivers specifically for my 1200 PHOTO, they will be my first choice for a new scanner. They have a very good driver for the 1250 Photo and it works very well with Photoshop.

what really makes me mad is when they do come out with X drivers, they don't have all the finctionality of the 9 and windows drivers. like my C80 can do front and back printing in 9 but not in ten!!! what the hell people!

There are alot of scanners not supported in OS X. Even Umax has been slow to not moving. Here's what I got from Umax support:

Should you wish to write a letter of disapproval please address it to:
Mac OS X Disapproval
UMAX Technologies, Inc.
10460 Brockwood Road
Dallas, Tx. 75238
USA

I am sure that if enought people write to the companies they would at least start working.

Having checked epson's site repeatedly concerning support for my perfection 2450 photo and not finding anything specific to support it, I figured I was out of luck.

Last week I had a scanning job come in & decided to open up image capture before re-booting into 9 (for the first time since november). Lo & behold, image capture recognised not only the scanner, but had the name correct. I was pretty sure that I hadn't missed something & I know that I didn't install a driver - maybe it was 10.2.3 that gave me this ability. Anyway - the scans are beautiful & the interface simple, though it does create some redundant files & gives some strange B&W previews (though only when displayed in quartz extreme, because they were normal on a colleague's os9 machine).

The moral: just give it a try every now and again - hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

RE; Goodby Epson...

I say "Amen!".

I have an epson Stylus 900n (network). It prints great and works great when it work... but periodically it just dissapears! Poof!! Gone!!!

(It remains visible and usable to Windows which prints over TCP/IP and not Appletalk...)

Getting it to show back up on OS X is a nightmare.

So the reason I hate it is because it is anything but "plug and play"...

I have an epson Stylus 900n (network). It prints great and works great when it work... but periodically it just dissapears! Poof!! Gone!!!

Have you tried Printer over IP?
Enter the network address of the printer.. It should always be there after that.

Originally posted by seann
Have you tried Printer over IP?
Enter the network address of the printer.. It should always be there after that.
I've tried a couple times.

Is can see and print to the the printer over IP, but instead of what I'm expecting it prints out the raw postscript.... The printer does not process the postscript and print the results when I do this over IP.

I'm sure there is a solution to this, but I should not have to figure this out. That's what I paid epson hundereds of $ for...

Same thing with the StylusPhoto 1290. Fine but suddenly, Poof!! Gone!!

Nuts. Only a reboot gets it back. Second generation driver, too - happens more with this than the first one.

Back