Google Search Question...

jebratt

Registered
Every time I use the box on the right hand side of the screen (I use Firefox as my browser and Google to search) it lists a whole bunch of suggestions that I think are based on common searches and previous history... How do I disable that feature as don't like having to look at this all the time when I search and I have tried to disable it using the "Preferences" feature but it doesn't seem to work...Thanks...

You can change your search settings by clicking on the Google icon on the left side of your search window, and choosing Manage Search Engines. Uncheck the box "Show Search Suggestions"
If you want to clear that search history list, you can go to Clear History, under the Tools menu, and click the choice to clear Search History.

Thanks... I did that (unchecked the "Show Search Suggestions" box but it still gives me a list of sites that I do not want... I have also cleared my history but it does not appear to solve the problem...

Not sure what is going on now as I entered the "Tools" tab and tried to click on "Clear Recent History" and it is not even highlighted...??

It's simply Google offering you suggestions as you type.
Firefox about:config will likely have a setting to disable those search suggestions.
replace whatever's in the URL box with "about:config" (no quotes), and press enter.
When you go to that page, you can type "search" in the filter box, and you should quickly see "browser.search.suggest.enabled".
Double-click on the value to toggle from True to False.
That should do it.

I followed your instructions but the setting was already set on "False"... So, I changed to "True" and then back to "False" but I am still getting the list of suggested sites/words when I search with any search engine (I have tried Google and Yahoo)...Any more ideas ??

Sure...
you can log in to Google (it's free if you don't already have a Google account)
There's a variety of search settings that you can look at.

Or, you can choose to let Google's guesses work in your favor. It makes typing much faster, as you'll often get good results as soon as you type 3 or 4 characters, or a couple of words.
Or, you can also choose to ignore that list.
If, instead, you are concerned about YOUR own search history, and it always appears in the Google search list, then that is usually a simple choice of "Clear Recent Searches", which is found by clicking on the icon in an empty search box.

You may also get some change by removing Firefox Caches, in your Caches folder.
You could also check for relevant entries in Firefox's Cookies list.
Perhaps someone else will read this, and have some input on that, too.

Back