Had enough with slow folders (with many files)

karavite

Registered
I have always had trouble with OSX and folders with large numbers of files, and I just assumed this would be fixed, but it is no better (or worse) with 10.1.3. It seems that if I open a folder with more than 20 files it will take a few seconds to open and scrolling, selecting, moving... is incredibly slow and a pain. What is up with this? If what I am experiencing is normal, this is really unnacceptable in "the most advanced OS on the planet." If this isn't normal, what the heck can I do to fix it.

I try to really support Apple and I love OSX, but this is embarrassing and just absurd.

In the global option pane make sure you use sort by "none"
i found that this helps me alot. The downside is that sometimes there is total chaos in some folders but after a quick fix its cool.:p

If you are in list view, remove the column displaying the size of the file. This causes a delay as it is calculating the file sizes.

Yes, this worked (turning off file size) - thanks for the tip.

I guess file size isn't something we need to see in the GUI of such an "advanced" OS? This is the kind of thing that makes Apple and OSX look like a joke. For crying out loud, Windows 95, no 3.1!, did a better job of this particular task. I've been an Apple cheer leader too long - it's about damn time Apple cleaned up the stupid crap with OSX. Window drawing and calculating file size are a problem yet to be solved in the year 2002? Who would have ever believed this?

Thank you for letting me vent!

Glad to hear that fixed your problem. I use the Get Info window to display files sizes, when I need them. I also use the green widget to resize the windows and no longer drag the lower right. It works very well in the Finder.
Having access to many Win2k and XP systems that have fast window resizing as compared to X, I can tell you that I much prefer OS X, as in Win2k or XP, there is often a lot of flickering in some windows when resizing. That is certainly more annoying than a slow resize. If you do have access to one of the darker side OSes, go into management console, and resize columns and you will see the cursor drag, just like it does in OS X. Of course, when this happens, there is no flickering.

Originally posted by karavite

If what I am experiencing is normal, this is really unnacceptable in "the most advanced OS on the planet." If this isn't normal, what the heck can I do to fix it.

this os is just too advanced for our not so advanced macs :D

But why does it take so long to open a Folder in the dock? (you know... not with one short click, but holdclick). I mean.. he doesn't have to calculate the sizes of documents or folders, so...

senne

also the recently used programms menu under the apple often takes a long time until it appears on the screen. maybe it has something to do with all the icon stuff os x has to load everytime we access a folder. it even displays the icons inside the menus.

If you hold down the control key when clicking a folder in the dock, it will respond faster. The delay to click and hold before it displays is there so it won't pop-up inadvertently when someone just wants to click on it.
All of these things will get cached into RAM and the more memory you have, the quicker they will appear. They are slowest the first time you use them, as they have not been cached. This is one reason why I put my Mac to sleep, instead of shutting down or logging out, to use the benefit of the cache.

I see. So i have to put extra RAM for faster menuappearance.... Stupid mac os x bug, and stupid mac os x!

senne

Thanks for all the advice, but Senne is on to something - these are not things users should have to worry/know/think about. I don't care about the technical issues - I'm talking from a user (or better yet a consumer) perspective. Of course it is not your fault, so why am I still ranting? :)

No, it is more RAM for better performance, as it is with any computer, Mac OS X, Win2k, XP. More RAM=better performance. How is that a bug?
The only technical issue here is get as much RAM as you can afford and with a 512mb stick costing around $125, it isn't hard to understand from any point of view. I was just trying to explain what is going on behind the GUI and why it acts like it does.

Gotta say I totally agree with the poster here. OS X is slow as a dawwwwwg in viewing folders with lots of items. RAM, schmam. I have 512 Megs and a G4/550 and this thing is slow as molasses. This is outrageous and embarrassing. I just hope to god they know people are pissed of and will make an effort to fix this.

I will just give up posting here as it does no good. If you don't like OS X go use something else. My 450 cube and X will suffice for me. Go use Windows and don't ask for advice when all you want to do is bitch and whine!

You are missing the point. I will not accept this kind of lousy performance on such a simple and basic thing as opening a folder with a few files listed in it, and if my G4 450 with 512 is not enough RAM to handle vewing 34 files in a folder, then Apple now beats MS in absurd hardware demands. As for the implied Mac loyalty thing, I bet I have had many more Macs than you ever had (7 so far) and I'm 100% sure I will have many more to come, but this doesn't mean I am going to be a blind little lemming who says OSX is perfect and Apple is the best blah, blah, blah when such obvious flaws and oversights exist.

There are a lot of things I love about OSX, but I have 40GBs of files I need to sort through and the task is all but impossible via the OSX Finder and its horrible and embarrassing performance with listing files in folders - yes damn it, I need to see the file size column. As a result, I am somewhat forced to use the Terminal and copy and move files with Unix commands - is this really what OSX is supposed to be about? I don't think so. I am sick of being a Apple cheer leader and instead I now see myself as a consumer and will measure my loyalty to Apple in dollars spent. I would guess this is at least $25,000 by now and that is, in my opinion, 25,000 reasons I cannot accept a "super modern" OS's inability to view files in a folder.

I must say I agree. Resizing and viewing within a window should be a fairly simple task. All of the eye-candy is very cool. I couldn't wait to get the beta of X when it came out, but Apple is certainly falling into the same bloatware category as Microsoft on this one. You should be able to run the OS on a 604 and see fluid window scaling/listings. Why the need to keep inflating the requirements of the OS so that anyone with an older machine can't reap the benefits of what it has to offer? I would have opted to not have a half-baked email client versus core issues such as these. For the record my Titanium laptop has a GB of memory and honestly should have nothing to do with screen resizing. That's a bunch of crap! If it can't resize a window efficiently with default settings and stock memory there is an issue.

Apple needs to get back to basics on some things. Starting with developers. They should be treated like royalty. (1)Take a stance one way or the other on gaming. Either do it or don't do it. Honestly, I'm tired of defending the Mac to my friends when it comes to gaming. Cheesy dated titles hurt the Mac more than they help. (2)Hardware cost. You can build a screaming PC for $1,000 now. Quality is great, but costs are still too high---develop with PC hardware--no longer the battle of processors rather which OS is superior. Apple would be able to build significantly cheaper boxes--or have higher margins.

You are missing the point. I bet I have had many more Macs than you ever had (7 so far)
I bought the first 128k Macintosh in this city. I have had far more than 7 macs. I am a system admin of a large company with access to the latest greatest technology. I have purchased over 50 some Macs for this company in the last few years. I don't have a problem navigating the Finder at all, don't find it 'dawg slow' or 'molasses' or embarrassing to use. I don't know what the problem is with your computer and resizing a window. Try the Green widget to maximize, it is much faster than drag resizing and does a great job of zooming to the needed size, at least in column view. What the heck is this 'resizing with efficiency'? Does that .10 second lag in the cursor drag you down that much? You ask why do they keep inflating the requirements? I guess if you don't understand why, it would take too much to explain it. Everyone wants their DVD player, CD burning, MP3 players, digital video manipulation and what not, but expect to do it with 32mb of memory, come on. Sorry but I cannot comment on games, as I don't play them, but my son sure does love his iBook for all the games he plays. What doesn't suit his on the Mac, then he uses his PS2, or Gamecube.

I'm not talking about resizing windows, I'm talking about simply opening a window with more than 30 files and having to wait five to ten seconds for the window just to open, and another 2 to 10 seconds to select a few of those files and/or move them. (open the folder in "List view" if you will forgive the windows speak).

As you said, this improves dramatically if I turn off file size (Thank you for the tip), but I want file size and in the year 2002 with the Mac nearly 20 years old, I think I should be able to have it. Or am I supposed to wait for Casady and Green to come out with an OSX "File Viewing" utilitity for $49.95?

I'm sure your first ever in the Universe 128k Mac could read the files from a floppy faster than OSX can from it's own HD. I don't know what you are talking about with Windows not being able to handle this - I have a W2000 machine right here that whips through folders and file size columns... like they were nothing. Am I impressed by this? Am I impressed that a 18 year old can tie his own shoes? No, and nobody should be.

I constantly run disk utilities like TechTool and DiskWarrior and my machine is clean. There is nothing wrong with my machine. I have quietly held my tongue on this file viewing issue from the Beta, 10, 10.1, 10.1.1... and here we are with 10.1.3 and it has not been addressed.

Whether you have had 35 macs or I have had 7 or my sister gave Steve Jobs his first hand job is not the point. Do you you subscribe to the idea that a true American Patriots would never criticize President Bush's grammar (not to mention economic policies)? If no, then why can't a loyal Mac CUSTOMER (not fan or fan second) be frustrated with something that is embarrassing, frustrating and truly a hassle that prevents him or her from doing basic file management?

I'm talking about simply opening a window with more than 30 files and having to wait five to ten seconds for the window just to open
Something is wrong with your OS X install or hard drive. I have folders on our servers that have several hundred files on them and don't notice this 5-10 second delays. I don't see a much of a delay at all (<.25 sec.) when turning on the file size option in list view from the servers. I certainly don't have the problems you do, with selecting items and opening folders. If it is taking that long, I can see why you are so frustrated.
The file management problems you speak of completely elude me. Having installed OS X on so many Macs, I have never seen this problem of slow opening of folders and displaying files.
I'm sure your first ever in the Universe 128k Mac could read the files from a floppy faster than OSX can from it's own HD.
I don't think so! Did you ever own a 128k Mac? It isn't even a consideration to compare the two. As I stated, something has to be wrong with your Mac OS X installation, or something is getting in the way.
Whether you have had 35 macs or I have had 7 or my sister gave Steve Jobs his first hand job is not the point.
I was replying to your comment that you have had more Macs than me. I would never talk about my sister that way, if I had one :) They should call him Steve Hand Jobs. :D
I don't know what you are talking about with Windows not being able to handle this [/B]
I don't know what you are referring to. The only place I mentioned Windows specifically, was using the Management console. Go resize the columns there and watch the cursor lag, just as it does in OS X when resizing.

Back