HandBrake doesn't work 50% of the time

supanatral

Registered
I'm trying to ripped the DVD's that I own to my hard drive so I can play it on my apple tv. The problem is that sometimes it will almost finish and just before it does the program will close and I can't view the movie it created. Othertimes it doesn't close and it finishes correctly but even then it still won't open on my mac or appletv. Then, other times it will work perfect.

These issues are not specific to which movie I'm ripping or the computer I'm ripping it on. Does anyone have a better program to use or maybe a fix to this?

This used to happen to me sometimes, too. It was bizarre. I never found a solution, but I haven't had the problem since I upgraded to some version (I forget the number). Are you sure you have the latest version?

There are other apps you can use. ffmpegX is a great one, and much more powerful than HandBrake. The big downside to ffmpegX is that it cannot convert directly from a DVD; you need to first rip the DVD to your hard disk with Mac The Ripper, then use ffmpegX on the resulting VIDEO_TS folder. It's a bit of a hassle, which is why I prefer to use HandBrake.

Back when I had the problem with HandBrake, I think it happened mostly when I used H.264. These days I use regular MPEG4 instead (when converting from DVD, the difference isn't that great most of the time, anyway, and H.264 is soooo much slower).

Can you then read it on your iPod ? ffmepgx suggests to use only H264 (which is a flavor of MPEG4 if I remember correctly).

Back