hard drive not being recognized

Ratmfoo

Registered
Hi,

I just replaced my western digital harddrive that came with my 17" intel 2 core duo iMac with a seagate harddrive. After replacing the HDD, I booted up the computer and put in the OSX disc 1. When I got to the part that said: "select a destination volume to install the Mac OSX software," no HDD choice was given to me. There are no options given to me at all, the box is just blank. I made sure to plug in the power and data slots on the HDD, so what could be my problem. Thank you in advance for your help.

-Karim

1.try formatting the HD as mac os x extended journaled by plugging it in to another source or target disk mode
2. were you the one who replaced the internal HDD?If so make sure that its mounted to the HDD slot. unplug and plug it back it again
3. worst case scenario you may have to check it from the store you purchase it from to see whether is a good HDD

Did you set the jumpers on the new drive for 'master'? As i recall you need to do that when you put in a new boot drive.

As kisuke# states, you need to format it. To do that, go to Disk Utility. Now, if DU does not see your HD, then you have a problem with the connection or HD as he and ora suggest.

--J.D.

Back