Has anyone made an Airport Extreme controller yet?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
As the topic says, does anyone know if any company has put out some sort of Airport Extreme controller yet? I figured someone would have come out with one by now.

For me (and many, though definitely not all, other people), using iTunes to control the Extreme would be ridiculous. If I wanted to be tethered to my laptop or desktop to control the music, I'd just play the music with my laptop or desktop. Instead, some sort of small, hopefully portable controller (though a wired controller might be okay if the price is right) would be much better.

Anyone aware of such a thing yet?

Ripcord said:
If I wanted to be tethered to my laptop or desktop to control the music, I'd just play the music with my laptop or desktop.

If i do recall, most stereo speakers are way better than the built in laptop/desktop speakers. only mac i have seen with good speakers are the iMac DV editions and the eMac

The stereo speakers built into the Powerbook is a lot better than what you can find in x86 laptops. Seriously, the sound difference is like night and day.

The Twentieth Anniv Mac has, by a wide margin, the best standard speakers ever on any Mac, with a custom Bose system including external subwoofer.
If you ever see one, restart just to listen to the awesome (unique) startup sound.

the tropical-ish sound. yeah. it was amazing. not to mention it looks rather similar to an iMac G5 :-\

JetwingX said:
If i do recall, most stereo speakers are way better than the built in laptop/desktop speakers. only mac i have seen with good speakers are the iMac DV editions and the eMac

...I meant, of course, hook my computer or iPod or whatever *up to the stereo* in the room in some way. Or with headphones. =)

I have my Mac (with iTunes) in my home Office, AirPort Express in the living room connected to my stereo and, with the help of Salling Clicker and my SonyEricsson P800 via BlueTooth, I (and only I :) can select anything from my music collection in no time. Salling Clicker even controls the volume and if the phone rings, the music is paused. This, in my opinion, is the optimal way to do it.

How do I facilitate using Airport Express with a dual G5 2.5ghz, and a Bose Lifestyle sound system? I assume that something like a Pioneer amp, accepting S/PDIF input is all I'd need. To control volume and selection remotely, it sounds as though this Salling Clicker you mention is the way to go. What more can you tell us?

Thanks,
Pish

I use my Airport Express through my Yamaha stereo, and use my Sony-Erricsson T610 as a bluetooth remote, by installing Romeo software on my iMac.
The advantage of Romeo (which is similar to Salling Clicker, but free) is that it is easy to customise the controls. I've added the ability for it to display on the phone's screen the current track, artist and album. I should warn you though that the scripts that come with Romeo are not-quite-right (some of the controls are muddled up, and so on) so you'll need to do some editing to get it spot-on.

Of course, the Apple Bluetooth keyboard can also make quite a nice remote control...

Back