have i corrupted my system fonts????

62bug

Registered
posted here as well as the intel forum. sorry... didnt know which was better...

OK I am back to using a mac after a few years. Got a pro mac on wed this week, installed all my new software and imported my fonts over from my pc. (tt) but I needed a version of stuffit so my copy from my pc (version 7) was a dual version. I imported it and ran the installer After which I noticed that all my adobe and quark internal menus (such as the swatch menu names in Illustrator - the font drop down in quark...)have changed to an illegible font (I dont know if its arabic or what...) But I have tried everything. I have downloaded the latest version of stuffit and onstalled that hoping it might resolve the font issue. It has obviously changed something in the system.. I have look everywhere..

Please PLEASE can someone help??? I hope I dont need to reinstall. I have wasted enough time allready and my company is allrady WAITING for the new mac to go wrong (they are all pc....

thanks//

Joe

You may have to repeat your post in English. You have several issues all mangled together so tightly that it is difficult to determine what you are saying.

I will say this: I see no indication that you have corrupted your System fonts. If they remain in System/Library/Fonts, then they should be fine. Another thing: MacOS X handles Windows TrueType fonts natively. You say that you needed a copy of Stuffit, but your stated reason makes no sense. Even if it did, Stuffit has nothing to do with your fonts.

Perhaps, you changed the settings under Language and/or Input Menu tabs in the International preferences pane.

I only stated the stuffit fact as it was AFTER I installed this program that i noticed the change in the menu fonts. I do not know if this CAUSED the problem or not, i thought it wass worth mentioning.

I did have a look at the input menu selection in international languages. this seemed to be set fine and changing it did nothing...

I know it will be a setting somewhere I just dont know where it is..

incidentally. what is the

"order for sorted list"

preference..I suppose it could it be this i have changed ( I am on my mac book at the moment and the pro is at work so i cant look what this is set to)

What program did you use to manage your fonts? Font book?
Adobe something?

It sounds like font corruption. Use Font book, or which ever font manager you used. Disable all your fonts. If that solves your issue (restart the mac after) it is one of them ... enable some of the fonts, restart .. if it works fine, enable some more .. until you find which one(s) are the ones that caused it (which either keep disabled or rather delete and try to find an uncorrupted copy).

cheers. i will give this a whirl first thing in the morning and see what happens..

fingers crossed

Back