Having troubles with a DVD RAM cartridge drive...

Surecure

Registered
I have had my G4-500 with the built in DVD-RAM drive for just over a year, but never used a RAM cartridge to save anything. I picked one up today - a Verbatim DataLifePlus 4.7GB single sided, TYPE 2 disc - but my computer is not reading it. I first tried under OSX, and while the cartridge stayed in the computer, it didn't show up on my desktop. I then rebooted in OS 9.2 and inserted the disc, but the computer would try and read it, then eject the disc.

I've tried it several times now, and nothing is working. Is there something I have to do to make it work? Is this the wrong type of disc (the spec sheet at Apple.com says it's right)? Do I need new drivers? Could there be a problem with my system?

If anybody can help, I'd love to hear from ya. Thanks.

the surecure ... [ | ] ...

check your apple system profiler to make sure your drive is being recognised properly.

I have had a cdrw show up as a cd rom, a reinstall fixed that problem.

I checked my Apple system profiler, and it is showing up as:

DVD-Ram drive
Apple disc-burning supported

So I don't think it is a problem with drive recognition.

I found out I had the wrong disks, right from Apple store. they told the client and sold them 4.7 gb dvd-r disks. Had to call Apple and hammer until they answered simple question without a credit card. You MUST have dvd-ram media that comes in a cartridge. My client did not have the cartridge and the symptoms you describe are the same for me, kept ejecting disk.

Not clear from above you actually have cartridge, but that is what solved it for me.

mikey

I did some checking around, and was able to figure out my problem. I did have a cartridge DVD-Ram disc, but the problem was that my drive uses only type 1 discs, and I purchased a type 2 disc. I had read the Apple page that deals with DVD-Ram drives, but had misunderstood which discs my drive could use. So unfortunately I purchased the wrong disc.

the surecure ... [ | ] ...

I also have a G4/500 Sawtooth with a factory-installed DVD-RAM drive. The thing reads DVDs and CDs, and will read from and write to Type I 5.2 Gig (2.6 Gig per side) double-sided media. I was wondering if anyone out there can give me a rundown of all the media I can *write* to. I know there are also 9.4 gig DVD-RAM cartridges; can I write to those suckers too?

Thanks.

Back