help me find this app!

cwoody222

Registered
Before I upgraded to 10.2 I had a little free app that let me do, among other things, make it so my desktop picture would be Centered, Scaled to Fit, etc. instead of just the default Tiled or stretched out versions.

When I upgraded, this app went away :(

I remember it sat in my System Pref panel but I can't remember the name.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there a 10.2 version? Is there another program that will let me do the same thing?

Help!

Uh... buddy, I dunno if you've noticed, but Mac OS X 10.2 HAS those features that you're talking about BUILT IN. Go to your "Desktop" pane and you can no only select how a picture is displayed, (Fill, Stretch, Center, or Tile), but if you have a whole folder full of images, it will "change picture" every __ seconds/minutes, or whenever. Mac OS 10.2 Desktop panel is much more flexible.

OK...where is this option?

All I see is "Current Desktop Picture", the dropdown to pick a new location, the area where it shows you all pics in that folder and then below that there's the option to change it automatically. I see nothing about Stretch, Fill, etc.

I believe you...just need help finding it!

Attachments

• syspref.jpg
    syspref.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 74
If you click on a picture to select it for the desktop, the Desktop pref pane will throw up a pull-down menu for these options.

I don't know why yours doesn't display the pulldown menu -- it certainly looks like you've selected a picture from the attachment. Maybe try selecting the pic in the bottom window again...

That plugin you had installed probably messed something up that entailed that feature built into Jaguar.

Originally posted by cwoody222
OK...where is this option?

All I see is "Current Desktop Picture", the dropdown to pick a new location, the area where it shows you all pics in that folder and then below that there's the option to change it automatically. I see nothing about Stretch, Fill, etc.

I believe you...just need help finding it!

i just checked mine and it looked exactly like your screen shot! I changed the Collection and it finally appeared! Now it's available for ALL Collections - talk about weird! :p

Play with the Collections drop down - it might appear right away, or after a few tries.

HTH

Tinkertool...that was it!

I changed around the Collections...no affect.

If the plugin DID mess up Jaguar's installation is there any way to fix it? Can I reinstall Jag over my current system w/o losing everything but also keping system performance and not having two copies of Jaguar on the system?

(I've always wanted to try and a fresh reinstall Jag to see if I get better system performance since I upgraded from 10.1 Since I'm using Backup.app maybe this is a good opportunity to do so??)

Tinkertool...that was it!

I changed around the Collections...no affect.

Sorry,
It happened again on mine and I paid more attention to what I was doing...

I change the collection and then clicked on a picture from the scroll box and up came the dropdown, then I chose the collection I wanted to use and it stayed put.

When you select a non-Apple group/option from the "Collection" menu, then you have those options. When you select a pre-installed Apple group of images, then those options go away because System Preferences knows the right size. (It knows it shouldn't tile Faux Fur because it's a full size desktop pic.)

What Desktop looks like with an Apple pre-installed group selected:

Attachments

• apple pictures.jpg
    apple pictures.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
What Desktop looks like with a custom group selected:

Attachments

• custom pictures.jpg
    custom pictures.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 14
I'm not at home to check my Mac right now but I know I have selcted non-Apple collections. The shot above was from a picture I copied from StarWars.com and just put on my HD yesterday.

All my "custom" desktop pics are in folders that I ,for convenience sake, have put in the default "Desktop Pictures" folder, though. Would that matter?

I know last night when trying to see what happened when I just changed my collection a bunch of times I selected a TON of folders off and on - many didn't even contain images...and it never appeared.

I'll try again when I'm back at my Mac later tonight.

All my "custom" desktop pics are in folders that I ,for convenience sake, have put in the default "Desktop Pictures" folder, though. Would that matter?

Yup, that's probably it. Store your personal desktop pictures in a separate folder that's NOT in your Library or System, and you'll probably be fine. Have fun.

YEP...that was the problem...I put the pics in a totally seperate folder and the mysterious dropdown menu appeared!

THANKS!!!

Back