Help, Please!! Bad shape!

berko1021

Registered
I recently upgraded to Panther. Im running a slightly older G4 system. 768 ram, 733 mgh processor, etc. Recently everything has been working funky. My applications work fine, but if I go into system prefrences for instance, I get a never ending pinwheel. If I move the mouse to the top right where the time and date are, the pinwheel is back. I can't open my cd rom drive to put any cd's in. The comp. also wont shut down. If I go to restart, sleep, shut down or even log off, it completely ignores the request. I have to shut down by holding the power button. In addition I'm running two monitors using the Matrox RTCMac card. i dont know if that's affecting it or not. This is a mess and I have work waiting for files I need to burn, but I cant the cd-r drive open. Anyone help, please. Any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix this?

-Brian

First thing, Repair Permissions using Disk Utility in your Utilty folder. Next, boot off the OS CD. After the Installer window appears, go up to the Installer Menu and choose Disk Utility and Repair Disk.

Tried repairing permissions. Didn't work to well. Was going to try booting off the OS CD but i cant get my drive open.

Try ONYX, it does some serious all-out cleaning and maintenance. I would recommend you try it if you want to give your mac a complete reset before considering a more drammatic re-install.

Open the drive door. You'll see a tiny pin hole. Push a paper clip in there and the drive should open.

or

Open the following folders:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/

Find and double click the: Eject.menu

This will give you an Eject icon on your Menu Bar. Once there, click it to open the drive.

So bobw, i tried you method of putting the eject icon on my menu bar. that didnt work. i also tried using a paper clip in the small hole which i would assume is the pinhole, which didnt work either. am i totally screwed? any other possible way to get this drive open to try and boot up from the osx cd and repair the damages.

I have had the same problem. But I can hold down the power button reboot and problem solved till next time. Sounds like you have this happen every time. I have a great tech guys I use in the next state to me. Tetrasoftpc.com give them a call and see how it goes. I assume you have downloaded and installed all updates and fixes. I have this happen it seems when I am using third party software more than not. Probably no help but maybe these guys I mentioned can help.

Back