help the blinks

golson

Registered
1. Open folders suddenly close by themselves
2. The desktop folder/file icons blink on/off at the same time
(for a second, with 40-60 second gaps between blinks).
3. The menu bar at the top doesn't blink though.

I downloaded a new version of Quicktime earlier today, that's
the only new thing I've done prior to the problem. It's been virus scanned.
I've rebooted and restarted several times with no luck.
Getting worried now.
Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

Have you done any diagnostics?

First, post your machine specifics: Model, OS, RAM, HD, shoe size.

Second, consider getting the free ware Onyx and repair permissions--make some coffee . . . it will take awhile.

Third, if that does not work, consider booting up on your Install Disk and running Disk Utility--check and repair the volume.

--J.D.

Hi Golson,

Yep, have the same thing happening to me (Powerbook G4, 10.4.11, 1GHz, 1GB RAM) It began right after the Quicktime update on 1/23.

I've reset permissions, etc. No luck yet.

This is happening to others. People have tried uninstalling Quicktime. Didn't work. I went to the apple site and installed the 10.4.11 system from November 2007. That didn't work.

Below is link to MacForums where the same thing is happening.

I'll post an answer if I find it.

Sounds like we'll probably need a patch from Apple? Does anyone else have an guess on this?

Good Luck.

Kel

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/135735-desktop-icons-blink-off.html

OK, here's a solution that worked for me, from JoeJoeBee on the Apple Support site. Link at bottom of the message:

For me, it's conflict with an older version of Stuffit!

"It seems all to be linked to Stuffit and a preference called Stuffit AVR (Archive Via Rename): In your system preferences go to the bottom and click on the Stuffit AVR option. Click the Stuffit AVR tab on the left, and click the "STOP" button. This should do the trick. For some reason this is cycling through our desktop/finder and causing so much of the frustration since this update."

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1873700&tstart=0

Last edited:
Gentlemen,
I had the same problem and I was about (desperate) to erase the hard disk, so everything should be cleaned. Then I tried your solution and it worked ! Now I feel much better. Thank you very much.

JOMIK

i was noticing that the desktop icons kept blinking on / off, and the finder icon kept going off / on on the dock... so, i read some forums, and opened up the crash log... sure enough, every 30 seconds, to 2 mins, the finder was crashing! so, after a little more searching of forums, THANKFULLY someone had found the problems solution!!! YES! now i dont have to reformat! i love simple solutions...

and, im REALLY beginning to HATE updates... seems like this past month, every update has caused some NEW stupid issue with my mac.... :mad:

so, for all of you who's finders are crashing every 30 seconds, just go to system prefs, and turn OFF the stuffit rename option. no more crashes since ive clicked it, where as before, i could see it being logged every minute or less. THANK YOU unprofound!

.... and many months later people like me still stumble upon this kind of problem. finder relaunching constantly without proper explanation. many forums out there offering loads of sudo-solutions that only aggravates the frustration. Thanks a lot unprofound for getting us through this.

Back