Help with 3D look?

jeb1138

Carioca
Could anyone give me some adive on what Photoshop tools to use to make an image have the 3D look that the one below has? I'm a real beginner with Photoshop, so any help or just a link to a good site with info would be appreciated. Thanks.

3d.png

(Notice how the edges are semi-transparent too.)

You have to blend gradients, selections, feathering, layer filters, and selection rounding to get that look. I'd like to help you but it really takes someone right there to show you how to use it.
However, I can write a long tutorial here that will give you step by step instructions to get that picture exactly... :p

I got this thing for photoshop called eyecandy. It's got a filter called bevel boss, it makes the selection 3D. I forget who makes it though. There's a demo of eyecandy at the website.

lol, i think i screwed up on that aqua thingy...
check it out:

Attachments

• aqua.gif
    aqua.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 26
Wow! Thanks guys, everything helped!

Posted by Ricky
You have to blend gradients, selections, feathering, layer filters, and selection rounding to get that look. I'd like to help you but it really takes someone right there to show you how to use it.
However, I can write a long tutorial here that will give you step by step instructions to get that picture exactly...
Hey Ricky, that would be great! Would you really do that? Or better yet (and maybe easier for you), could you record yourself doing it with the Actions tool and then post the action file? Then I could watch and play each step.
Posted by Androo
I got this thing for photoshop called eyecandy. It's got a filter called bevel boss, it makes the selection 3D. I forget who makes it though. There's a demo of eyecandy at the website.
Thanks for the tip androo -- those filters are really cool! I downloaded the demo (http://www.alienskin.com/downloads/getmail1.asp) and they would be perfect for what I want. Now if I only had an extra $160....:)
Awesome, that's exactly the sort of thing I need to learn how to do it. Thanks twister.

Alright, I didn't spend too long on it, but it looks a lot like the original pic anyway. And I didn't know how to save an action as a separate file, so I created a droplet instead. Hope this can help you get the general idea.

digitalclock.png

Just create a 400x400 jpeg, RGB color mode, with a white background, save it, drag it into the droplet, and watch it do its magic. :)

Attachments

• digital clock droplet.sit
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the droplet Ricky! That really helped. Here's my first attempt following your example:

My%203D%20Thing.png

I probably need to go a little heavier on the shading to make it really look 3D, but it's a start! A lot more than I could do 48 hours ago. :) Thanks again.

if you look at the screen that has layers and channels, there is a little button in the lower left corner that looks like an "f". select one of the options (doesn't matter) and then when the next screen pops up select the styles option to the left and play with the presets. if you want some more, hit the arrow just to the right and try stuff from the menu

Back