Help with color profiles in Photoshop

Travis86

Registered
Ok, I want to create an image in Photoshop whose background matches the background in a webpage. I'm using the "Generic RGB Profile" for my monitor, and "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" for Photoshop (I'm using the North American General Purpose Defaults). No matter what profile I use for my image, it's either darker or lighter than the background on the webpage. Using one color profile (I can't remember which, I tried so many), I was able to get the colors to match in Safari, but not in Firefox.

What do I do?

I've figured out that if I don't color manage the image and export it as a PNG with "Save As" (not "Save for Web"), then the colors will match on Firefox, but they will be darker in Safari. If I use the "Generic RGB Profile" and export it with "Save for Web", the colors wil be right in Firefox, but they'll be darker in Safari.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 2
The colours would match in Safari if the colour profile was set to the one your monitor uses.

Safari is the only browser which actually knows how to use the colour profiles in PNG files. Sadly, Adobe still chooses to colour-manage documents by default, and save the colour profiles into PNG files by default.

The best bet is to not colour manage your documents at all, and then save them with Save For Web. Or, even better, use GIF formats for single-colour things. Personally, I've got the background of my website as a four-by-four pixel colour-managed PNG to match my graphics because I really like the way it looks in Safari, and it doesn't affect any other browser in any real way.

Back