Help with two ethernet interfaces

icacciaguerra

Registered
Here is the situation:
1 G4 with MacOS X Server 10.1.5
1 FARALLON PCI FAST ETHERNET CARD
2 DIFFERENT ISPs (say ISP1 and ISP2)

I set up a public IP address for built-in ethernet from ISP1. I set up a public IP address for add-on PCI card from ISP2.
I would like to reach my server from both two ISP pinging both ISP1 address and ISP2 address. It doesen't work. I cannot ping and get connected to the PCI card unless built-in card cable is unplugged.
Looking with "route get" command it seems that all packets are routed by built-in card unless it is unplugged.
There is a way to fix it?

Thank you.

Iacopo

Let me get this straight..

you have two isp's and two ethernet cards. Are you connected via ethernet to both of these isp's? Clue us in how how your server is supposed to connect to the upstream isp's.

The flaw I see in your logic is that you think the enet cards are doing the routing for you. Whereas Darwin is actually doing the routing... Darwin is trying to set a default route, and won't route through enet card #2 unless enet card#1 route is unreachable. If you are going to be connected to 2 isp's you will probably have to add a static route for 2nd ISP. You might want to run a something like OSPF to deal with your multihoming issues.

Anyway, reply back with all and i mean all the details of what you are trying to do and what equipment is involved, how you have it configured, etc. Then we can probably help you out.

Are you trying to do load balancing across the 2 ethernet cards for faster internet access?
OR
Are you trying to set up a server on your G4 with 2 multi-homed IPs?

I am connected by ethernet to both NICs.

I want the server be reachable from the internet even if one ISP is down so I would like to reply by the same NIC the connection is requested to.
I don't know if I need load balances or routing tables.

Thank you.

I see now.

You probably need a router that has multihoming capabilities. I'm not sure if there's a way you could do that in OS X without a router.

Back