Helper apps with Safari

alphap1us

Registered
Okay,
I am not sure what to title this post or even what category it fits in but here goes. Whenever I download certain types of files with Safari, e.g. dmg's or tar's or such, they open automatically on the desktop. But when I download certain types especially torrent files, they do not open, automatically. IE has a preference where I can specify helper applications and mozilla asks me what to do if it doesn't know, but Safari doesn't seem interested in having other applications open the things it downloads, other than some defaults. Is there any way I can change this?

Select the file (a.k.a. the Torrent file) and push Cmd-I. Click on the triangle that says "Open With..." and choose an application. Then push the button that makes all files of that type open with that application.

I think it's actually to do with the "Open Safe Files" option. Safari will automatically post-process "Safe files", like pictures, movies, text, pdf, disk images and archives.

Thanks, guys, but this doesn't do quite what I want. I want Safari to open the file without me double clicking on it. Specifying the default app only dtermines what happens after I open it. I think "Safe files" is a specified set of file types, not just anything that is not an executable.

I understand that alphap, I was trying to point out that Safari WONT open other file types.

Back