How do software registration codes work?

Dlatu1983

Prime Minister
I was wondering this today...obviously, since not everyone has internet access, the program can't "match up" and verify the reg codes online. Is there some sort of mathematical relationship between the characters (for example, 2 + 5 + 7 - 4 = 10, the same as 2 + 2+ 2+ 2+ 2= 10), and a value is returned, and only one value unlocks the program? Like I said, I know NOTHING about it, but that seems likely to me....anyone care to shed some light on this?

Most software companies use what is known as an algorithm for there licensing codes. Yes there is some mathematics to it but nothing simplified... Company could have a set of serials starting with 568943205432 for all you know the algorithm within the licensing software could change two digits, five digits or all. Hope this helps.

Some companies use the letters in your registered name as part of the registration code used. (Please type in your name EXACTLY as you entered it for registration) The algorithm used determines your registration code. Yes it would be a mathematical relationship of some kind, but you'd have to talk to the individual company to find out what they use (LOL) Some can be quite complex.

Then the software stores the information, along with information identifying your computer, somewhere on your hard drive so you can't transfer preference files and move the program to a different computer (believe me, I've tried).

.. or even to your own computer back after reinstalling the OS X.

They have always a logic in their codes. And the logic is normally not that simple (and even if it was, i wouldn't post it here, and if someone had posted it, i'd have edited it out). :)

You can also think of it somewhat like a credit card number: you can't just enter a random 16-digit number and have it work, there's "logic" (an algorythm) to the digits in the number.

Back